Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Low graphics mode

Beans

Re: Low graphics mode

My install is on a ssd also.
    I have changed from lightdm/unity to gdm/gnome-shell and so far (only a few boots) no problems.
    I wanted to try out Unity so using gnome is really not what I had in mind.
    If it's a race problem it would be solved by installing on a traditional hard drive perhaps.
    But that was not what I had in mind either.

Anybody else using ssd?

Beans

My install is NOT on ssd. My hdd is 2,5" 150gb. I also think, that this is some kind of synchronization problem.

@fjgaude your proposal works for me, is it possible to implement some script, that at boot time restart lightdm ?

Beans

Hi everyone. Same problem here !
    Intel HD Graphics and SSD ; Ubuntu 12.10 randomly boots with "system in low graphic mode" error ; Xorg log says "Fatal Error : no screens found"...
    I have been seaching for several days, no solution yet.

Beans

Some precisions : I am using 64 bits version too, and since screens seems to be involved in this, mine is a Iiyama XB2374HDS...

Here is a funny thing : for other reasons I had to replace the DVI cable by a HDMI one, and since then I had no boot problem. I do not see why this would change anything but still, no problem with HDMI for now...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by pesho21 View Post
    My install is NOT on ssd. My hdd is 2,5" 150gb. I also think, that this is some kind of synchronization problem.

@fjgaude your proposal works for me, is it possible to implement some script, that at boot time restart lightdm ?
    The startup routine is complex, AFAIK, and I would not know where to put an addition to it all.

Maybe someone here who has the technical knowledge could help.

Yes, please help!
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Arkandias View Post
    Some precisions : I am using 64 bits version too, and since screens seems to be involved in this, mine is a Iiyama XB2374HDS...

Here is a funny thing : for other reasons I had to replace the DVI cable by a HDMI one, and since then I had no boot problem. I do not see why this would change anything but still, no problem with HDMI for now...
    Well, my monitor is DVI only. I can't see how that and SSD has anything to do with my issue. I have no problem when booting from an HHD, just SSD.

Hopefully someone or something will come along that points to a solution for us who are using SSDs.
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans

I'm using HDD and HDMI and the problem is here. So I don't think, that this is related to Hard disk type or output port.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pesho21 View Post
    I'm using HDD and HDMI and the problem is here. So I don't think, that this is related to Hard disk type or output port.
    The issue is really how the OS detects the capability of the hardware, if it is fast enough for Unity3D or not, something of that sort. And the testing, parsing the results determines what is selected. In our case 'low-res graphics'. Ugh!

It seems to involves the dm lightdm and restarting it, but who can say for sure? I wonder if we could delete it and use gdm?

Beans

Smile Re: Low graphics mode

thanks for this post - I am using a Lenovo W500 and upgraded from 12.04 to 12.10 today and ended up in a hell of a mess with my graphics. I removed fglrx, and changed my settings to use intel graphics, which improved the situation but did not resolve it. Then found your post and bingo! all looks good so far

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pink mongoose View Post
    thanks for this post - I am using a Lenovo W500 and upgraded from 12.04 to 12.10 today and ended up in a hell of a mess with my graphics. I removed fglrx, and changed my settings to use intel graphics, which improved the situation but did not resolve it. Then found your post and bingo! all looks good so far
    You will have to use the terminal commands each time you re-boot. Sooner or later there will be a fix for this, not just a work-around.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast