Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Low graphics mode

Beans

Re: Low graphics mode

Yes that is correct, it is actually for Intel Graphics HD4000 and HD3000 Dynamic Video Memory Technology. As I mentioned no more low-graphics mode when I reboot for now. Hope we get a permanent fix for this soon...
    Last edited by bj44; December 10th, 2012 at 05:52 AM.

Beans

hi all! i'm new here and i just passed this thread while looking after a different problem.
    but you'r occasion sounds to me like the framebuffer problem. have you already tried to deactivate the framebuffer by setting 'vga=normal' in the grub menu?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by avli View Post
    After carefully reading this bug report I've found a solution, that works for me. I've added the following code into /etc/rc.local script

Code:
    sleep 1 && service lightdm restart
    Don't forget check the script is executable. Good luck!
    This worked for me. Thanks!

Also, for anyone else trying to determine the cause, none of my 2nd generation i3-based builds experience this issue, while all of my 3rd generation i7-based builds with HD4000 do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

[QUOTE=avli;12324703]After carefully reading this bug report I've found a solution, that works for me. I've added the following code into /etc/rc.local script

Code:
    My problem is that during a boot, I get to the login screen and it is low resolution. I login, and the desktop is the same low resolution. This is with a fresh install 12.10 and NVIDIA drivers 310.

I tried this and it does work in my case. Not sure what is up, because I rebuilt this and I did not have the problem the first time I installed (fresh) 12.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

[QUOTE=Jim_in_Omaha;12403616]
    After carefully reading this bug report I've found a solution, that works for me. I've added the following code into /etc/rc.local script

Code:
    My problem is that during a boot, I get to the login screen and it is low resolution. I login, and the desktop is the same low resolution. This is with a fresh install 12.10 and NVIDIA drivers 310.

I tried this and it does work in my case. Not sure what is up, because I rebuilt this and I did not have the problem the first time I installed (fresh) 12.10.
    Most of us were, are having this issue with Intel HD3000/4000 graphics and booting from a SSD. Nothing to do with Nvidia graphics. It's a 'race' issue with Intel and speed, quickness.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There must be something to the Intel thingy. I had two SSD's, the Linux and a Windows 8. I unhooked the Windows 8 and noticed the resolution problem went away. To be sure I remarked out the line in rc.local and sure enough, Ubuntu is loading to proper resolution now.

Beans

There are currently two known workarounds to your problem at this link:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1070150

Beans

Well bad news. Intel was fine with Ubuntu at 10.04.xx, but after that it's all gone to hell.

Since 11.10 or so Ubuntu hasn't recognized Intel chips at all.

Right now I have laptop with Intel HD 3000 and running Windows 7. No go for Ubuntu 12.04, just like the last laptop, Intel HD on it, not working with Ubuntu.

I am sad since I like the linux community, but the gfx cards functionality is really important to me. I need to be able to use some 3d and watch video from my TV via laptop.

Beans

[QUOTE=Jim_in_Omaha;12403616]

Code:

You could try to install the linux-headers-x.x.x-xx and linux-headers-x.x.x-xx-generic where x.x.x-xx is the kernel release number (you could get it with uname -r). Reboot it the Nvidia issue may be solved until next kernel upgrade.

Beans

I finally find a solution.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gdm
    When the system asks you to select login method, select gdm instead of lightdm. Never use lightdm again.

The problem of gdm is that once you enter a wrong password then you have to reboot from console. But it's much better than lightdm. It has its own mood. Maybe reboot ten times and it's either low graphics mode or complete blank. Especially it may work after an update and then has mood again after the next update. So disappointed that I rebooted my laptop many times every morning and still can't access my data.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast