Thread: Impertinent?

Beans

Impertinent?

I just got an infraction: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...2#post12304052

Frankly I don't see what the fuss is about.

Maybe I could have phrased things a little more politely, but even reading it a second and third and fourth time I don't see why this is an infraction.

I've been using the Internet since before the public could do so, back in the 80's. I've been using forums since then, back when they were called newsgroups. This is the first time I've ever had any sort of infraction lodged against me.

The OP called my post "impertinent" which I took to mean irrelevant. It seems there's also a definition that means intrusive or presumptuous, and I'm not at all certain the OP had that meaning in mind.

The way I see it, my posts were direct, to the point and impersonal. New machines can be found for very little money today if you're careful about it, and even so one far better than what he has could be had for $10 at a rummage sale.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Impertinent?

Actually now that I think about it a bit, what's even more distressing is that there was absolutely no warning that this infraction was coming.

I can understand if I started spewing hate, but in this thread at absolute worst I'm mildly obnoxious if you choose to take it that way.

I certainly didn't mean an insult, which I think my later comments make clear.

So again, no warning, no discussion, no "you're out of line..." just boom. Infraction.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans

Irrespective of your interpretation of impertinent your post was clearly rude and in breach of the Forum Code of conduct.

Refer code...

Trolling, Attacks and Flaming: These are always forbidden.
    Trolling is posting in a way that provokes emotional responses.
    Attacks and derogatory terms of any kind are not welcome. This includes references to other operating systems and the companies that produce them.
    Flames are messages that personally attack or call any people names or otherwise harass. These, along with any generally condescending posts will be edited or removed at the moderators discretion.
    If a thread is flame-bait (appears to be intended to start an argument or is likely to cause an argument rather than enhance discussion, as in trolling), it will be locked or removed without notice. Individual flame-bait comments in a post may be deleted or edited at the moderators' discretion.
    If the thread turns into an argument, it can be closed to further comment or removed without notice. Sometimes a moderator may split the thread or delete certain portions in order to keep the discussion going, but that is not always possible since we are a staff of volunteers with limited time and numbers."
    This account is not active.

Beans

So what about a "Hey, you're out of line, back off?" Had I even suspected that the OP was offended I would have apologized about it with no further action necessary.

And FWIW if what I posted in the referenced thread is considered flaming then you should go back over all the other posts I made since I joined this forum. There are easily enough to have my account banned permanently.

And if you're going to do that, why don't you just go ahead and delete every post I've made and every thread I started.

Beans

On joining UF you agree to post according to the Code of conduct it is your responsibility to see that you meet that requirement. In this case you failed and staff acted appropriately.
    This account is not active.