Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Web apps

Beans

Web apps

So do you think it is possible for this cycle we can have web apps that don't require the browser to be open on the websites?

So facebook, g+ and gmail for example would give you new message notifications when you are not on the website?

This would make them much more useful!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Web apps

Curious, how would this be possible?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    Curious, how would this be possible?
    Web service asks to install webapp through firefox modification, firefox installs application + configuration to appropriate place in home directory, daemon running on startup starts the webapps when necessary.

It could be engineered, is the point.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the info, since it could be engineered the question would be is it likely to
    happen?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    Thanks for the info, since it could be engineered the question would be is it likely to
    happen?
    I don't know. Is the answer. I'd suggest taking it up with the Unity webapps team people.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Don't know how but it's being done in Android - get notifications for Facebook when no app or web page open, technically feasible...
    Intel E5200Dual Core CPU, Gigabyte G31 mobo, 4 GB DDR800 mem, Intel graphics, 250 GB Seagate HDD, Liteon 22x DVD Rewriter, 17" HP LCD Ubuntu User # 17508

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by chrismine View Post
    Don't know how but it's being done in Android - get notifications for Facebook when no app or web page open, technically feasible...
    On my android phone, there is always a facebook app running. I haven't been able to completely remove it. On my Android tablet, I've removed the facebook app, as I don't use it.

Beans
    Distro

As it is, the last few weeks of QQ severely curtailed the usefulness of Ubuntu for me. aMSN was removed some months back, now Emesene is gone - there seems to be no available program to monitor and report new mail on live.com, gmail, etc. The webapps seem to offer the ability to have that, but only when FF is running.

For ***'s sake - we all laugh about the pre-historic AOL "You've got mail" message, but that's what being connected is all about! I feel I'm back in the Stone Age without notifications, under my control, of whether I have unread email messages.

And please don't say I need to get a cell-phone - I read email on a computer, thank you very much! Not on a 2 inch (or 4 inch - or even (gasp!) 5 inch screen).

Ready to head to a distro that keeps useful services going instead of eliminating them in favor of marketing ploys....
    Sony vaio vgn-fw235j; Synaptics touchpad; triple boot: mint 12 64-bit; Precise 64-bit & Saucy 64-bit. 2TB external USB drive with more...

Beans

there seems to be no available program to monitor and report new mail on live.com, gmail, etc.
    As far as gmail I get notification on screen & thru the messaging indicator for gmail, (turns blue, lists mails), so "no..." isn't quite true

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I use Thunderbird, I get the blue envelope, and a pop sound whenever a new email is received. I have 2 gmail accounts, 3 with my ISP, and an ubuntu.com email address.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast