Thread: No Unity UI and dpkg: error: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' error after upgrade

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

No Unity UI and dpkg: error: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' error after upgrade

Hi folks, ran my upgrade which did pop up a couple of errors (unfortunately, until I get a usable UI, I can't get to the record of them right now) and I now boot to a empty desktop with only my installed bottom bar (an extra I added to replace the missing task bar) and no sign of any Unity panels.

Running sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get -f upgrade I get an error:-

dpkg: error: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 2638 package 'skype':

mixed non-coinstallable and coinstallable package instances present
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

I've tried running apt-get clean first, and also resetting my sources.list file (per the sticky, on this forum area) and it still seems that the dpkg status file is screwed. I can't atp-get remove skype, either. I've tried copying the status-old file over, plus the /var/back/dpkg.status.0 file, and I've also unzipped the dpkg.status.1.gz and .1.gz files in there (which are pre the upgrade) and copying them in, but I still get this same error. Is there a way I completely regenerate this file, as it seems to be at the root of the problem, and as I've had skype on there for ages I think all of the /var/backup files will have this same issue?

Any help would be extremely gratefully received as my system is completely fracked at the moment, and this is a real pain.
    Thanks MH
    Last edited by Mad-Halfling; October 19th, 2012 at 02:52 PM.