Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lubuntu upgraded to 12.10 from 12.04 DNS not working

Beans

Re: Lubuntu upgraded to 12.10 from 12.04 DNS not working

Quote Originally Posted by jdthood View Post
    So to begin with /etc/resolv.conf was a plain file. created this symlink you have given control of /etc/resolv.conf back to resolvconf which NetworkManager uses for maintaining resolv.conf contents. Keep it this way. Resolvconf is now part of the Ubuntu base system and is expected to be present. If resolvconf does not seem to be working properly in some instance then report a bug against the resolvconf package and we will investigate the issue with you.
    1.The /etc/resolv.conf file is probably a file created by wicd, and not removed after removing wicd. The settings in there were my most recent wicd settings (my home DNS server).

2.DNS seems to be working normally (automatic) now, so the only question left is why the symlink was not created during the upgrade (or why resolvconf does not simply write in /etc/resolv.conf.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftPengu View Post
    1.The /etc/resolv.conf file is probably a file created by wicd, and not removed after removing wicd. The settings in there were my most recent wicd settings (my home DNS server).
    Wicd is in universe and so it wouldn't surprise me if it (1) wasn't integrated with resolvconf and (2) even deleted the symlink at /etc/resolv.conf. I have never examined wicd so I don't know. Now on my TODO list.

2.DNS seems to be working normally (automatic) now, so the only question left is why the symlink was not created during the upgrade.
    Resolvconf only creates the symlink /etc/resolv.conf -> ../run/resolvconf/resolv.conf on initial installation. If resolvconf were to create this symlink again on upgrade then the people who like to delete the symlink would complain.

To force the resolvconf package to create the symlink, run "dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf".

(or why resolvconf does not simply write in /etc/resolv.conf).
    Writing to files in /etc is a violation of the filesystem hierarchy standard and needlessly prevents the root filesystem from being mounted read-only.
    Last edited by jdthood; October 29th, 2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Typo

Beans

Putting in the symlink fixed dns for me. The weird thing was that this was on a brand new (customised using Ubuntu Customisation Kit) Lubuntu live usb.

I dunno if it was broken out of the box or if UCK broke it. Once I get a fully working laptop (broken hdd, hence live usb) I'll investigate.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by piemonkey View Post
    Putting in the symlink fixed dns for me. The weird thing was that this was on a brand new (customised using Ubuntu Customisation Kit) Lubuntu live usb.

I dunno if it was broken out of the box or if UCK broke it. Once I get a fully working laptop (broken hdd, hence live usb) I'll investigate.
    Custom Ubuntu builds based on Precise frequently have this problem. See bug #1000244,

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...f/+bug/1000244

for example, comment #82.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...44/comments/82

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12