Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suprises planned for RR.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Suprises planned for RR.

Hi Jeremy, I meant no disrespect to you or other coders. You all do marvellous work.

I was simply illustrating, using some very improbable examples, the 'closed' behaviours engendered by elevating some groups in the community to be 'special trusted testers'.

Either there is a community which, by definition is inclusive of all abilities, or there is not.

Making some more equal than others (qv George Orwell ?) does not a Community make.

There is still a Feature Freeze and a UI Freeze which need to be followed.
    I waited a good few hours for someone to point out the obvious but alas the task falls to me...

The Amazon lens was introduced after the feature freeze.
    Not only did this upset many posters but it makes a mockery of having accountable timelines and removes the protections intended to ensure a coherent release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I think Mark mentioned 'trust' several times. I think it is about having trusted individuals on a brainstorming team that get to upchuck some stuff into the repos. Remember, we don't have anti-malware resident guards like competing OSes and such goes the meritocracy of how the repo infrastructure is ultimately maintained. They want to keep that concept vigorously tested and fortified - and so I think this would apply to some newbie invites - that perhaps they have to earn some measure of trust - otherwise there could be a freefall of bugs . No? I don't think this is a special interest group or an invite to a clique.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

A great way to earn that trust, is to become an Ubuntu member. To become aa Ubuntu member via the Forum, have a look a this thread. Of course you can also apply via the Membership board

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    A great way to earn that trust, is to become an Ubuntu member. To become aa Ubuntu member via the Forum, have a look a this thread. Of course you can also apply via the Membership board
    I hear you Cariboo .
    Though it is a two-way street.

Trust in society is generally given as of right and then lost once it is broken whilst it is respect that is earned.

I continue to respect Canonical but after the Amazon lens bombshell and 'Erm, we have root' comments I no longer trust them as strongly as I once did.

As far as membership I lean more towards Groucho Marx's theory on clubs.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RobinSchouten View Post
    Raring Ringtail

Are we getting Ubuntu on our phones maybe?
    "Ubuntu everywhere" they wish. My comment, I've got a 10.1" Asus tablet and a 10.1" Acer netbook.

Asus tablet running Android boot to internet is blases faster than Acer netbook running Quetzal - with faster hardware.

Now personally once booted up I get more work done with Ubuntu (since 2006) than Android (since 2012). Yes tablet's got a keyboard. Android O.K. for output, not nearly so good as Ubuntu for saving internet articles with graphics to a Libre write file...

Ubuntu on your phone maybe, boggles my mind having unity/compiz on that little hardware...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by robert shearer View Post
    Hi Jeremy, I meant no disrespect to you or other coders. You all do marvellous work.

I was simply illustrating, using some very improbable examples, the 'closed' behaviours engendered by elevating some groups in the community to be 'special trusted testers'.

Either there is a community which, by definition is inclusive of all abilities, or there is not.

Making some more equal than others (qv George Orwell ?) does not a Community make.

I waited a good few hours for someone to point out the obvious but alas the task falls to me...

The Amazon lens was introduced after the feature freeze.
    Not only did this upset many posters but it makes a mockery of having accountable timelines and removes the protections intended to ensure a coherent release.
    I get where you're going but not everything thats planned can be held in secret until release. Some of the surprises will have to be revealed
    so it can be tested by the community which will be a much larger audience than those in the know. I think thats where jbicha was going with the Feature and UI Freezes.

Beans
    Distro

Thought I'd post back on this thread I started. Re-reading the original blog post it doesn't mention anywhere that these 'surprises' will only be revealed upon release.

They will be unveiled when they are ready, without an official time-line then people are just speculating. There is nothing to say that these features wont be revealed for Alpha 1, Beta 2 or RC for example.

we won’t talk about them until we think they are ready
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

i already know one of them: by now ubuntu will only send bug free version in the wild

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cecilpierce View Post
    Same here! startup disk creator is crashng now...
    I cheat and boot the .iso directly from the hard drive with a /etc/grub.d/40_custom like so:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    exec tail -n +3 $0
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    menuentry "Pangolin 12.04.1 LTS" {
    set isofile="/ubuntu-12.10-desktop-i386.iso
    loopback loop (hd0,10)$isofile 
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt noeject
    initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
    }
    also do
    sudo chmod 777 /etc/grub.d/40_custom
    sudo update-grub
    Reboot
    select the manuentry above
    Ctrl-Alt-t
    df
    see where the isodevice is then do a special unmount
    sudo umount -r -l /dev/sda10

since in this case the .iso is in a partition /dev/sda10
    I've got a zsync there, check forum for warnings, zsync the latest daily build, boot the .iso if it looks O.K. install in a partition all ready to go via gparted.

Select install this being unstable development hang on to your hat....
    ** don't have two .iso with the same name at different levels anywhere on your hard drives
    .iso size doesn't matter.

Now this doesn't test ubuntu code for creating usb drives. That's separate testing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123