Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Can't install ATI proprietary drivers in 12.10. Unity is Missing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can't install ATI proprietary drivers in 12.10. Unity is Missing

Quote Originally Posted by rtimai View Post
    RS880M [Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series]

I clean-reinstalled 12.10 and am running the OSS driver (and yes, cpu a little hotter.) Downgrading X.org and fglrx, and possible the kernel is all too scary for me, as I don't know how it will effect updates and the next ubuntu upgrade.

All these video driver issues stem from Canonical's decision to transition from X.org to the new Wayland video server:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Wayland

Not great news for those trying to hang on and keep older hardware running. I think I remember seeing somewhere that AMD was not planning to continue to support radeon 2xxx-4xxx in their fglrx driver. I may eventually have to switch to a more legacy-friendly distro.
    I run a compaq presario cq61 with a HD radeon 4200 and the open-source drivers. Occasionally Ubuntu 12.10 will not boot and I have to go to recovery mode. I then thought I should switch to the proprietary drivers, but because the legacy drivers are not supported in ubuntu 12.10, I followed the procedure highlighted above (with ppa:makson96/fglrx-legacy).

It did not work at all. The system would hang on a black screen when I tried to boot. The usual trick of setting radeon.modeset=0 would not work. I had to go to recovery mode, drop to root shell, purge the fglrx-legacy package and reinstall xorg to restore a working system.

At least, as a newbie in Ubuntu, this gave me a nice training opportunity!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by samsom63 View Post
    I run a compaq presario cq61 with a HD radeon 4200 and the open-source drivers. Occasionally Ubuntu 12.10 will not boot and I have to go to recovery mode. I then thought I should switch to the proprietary drivers, but because the legacy drivers are not supported in ubuntu 12.10, I followed the procedure highlighted above (with ppa:makson96/fglrx-legacy).

It did not work at all. The system would hang on a black screen when I tried to boot. The usual trick of setting radeon.modeset=0 would not work. I had to go to recovery mode, drop to root shell, purge the fglrx-legacy package and reinstall xorg to restore a working system.

At least, as a newbie in Ubuntu, this gave me a nice training opportunity!!
    Sorry about the "newbie" question but, which are the open-source-drivers? I mean... where can I find them? Are they the pre-installed drivers of the Ubuntu distro?

Thank you

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by spirosbond View Post
    Sorry about the "newbie" question but, which are the open-source-drivers? I mean... where can I find them? Are they the pre-installed drivers of the Ubuntu distro?

Thank you
    Yes, the open-source drivers are pre-installed. If you go to the software centre and select "software sources" and then the "additional drivers" tab, you'll see if there are more recent open-source drivers you can install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have tried downgrading x but it did not work. So I am using now drivers provided with Ubuntu 12.10 for my Mobility Radeon HD 4200. So far it works, just system tends to crash from time to time.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dunkeld View Post
    I have tried downgrading x but it did not work. So I am using now drivers provided with Ubuntu 12.10 for my Mobility Radeon HD 4200. So far it works, just system tends to crash from time to time.
    Same for me: my system could not boot twice in past two weeks, and also suspend does not work properly.

Beans

I ran into this exact problem on a clean install. 6000-series card.

Tried everything I could find... nothing worked. Reinstalled and am sticking with the open source driver for now. Unfortunately, my HDMI audio out is no longer working because of it.

Beans

Having a legacy AMD Card : HD4890 running ubuntu 12.10 im doomed to use the fglrx-legacy driver with the serious performance loss plus the incompatibility with the recently released STEAM for linux

But as i was searching for solutions i found that in Windows they managed to add support for the "legacy" cards to the latest driver ( even to the beta 12.11 )

Here is the link http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=370452 i hope that someone with the skills and knowledge to do the same for linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The guru3d support is targeted at gamers, e.g. those running non-mission-critical systems. Gamers really are at the cutting edge of video, and are willing to mod their systems with lightly-tested drivers to gain an edge over their opponents in the virtual world.

Not so here! I'm playing it safe and staying with the recommended OSS driver. AMD/ATI may drop future development of fglrx for legacy video, but OSS development might yet continue, to at least to fix bugs (e.g., improve GPU usage to reduce load on the CPU.)

Meanwhile, there is Ubuntu Community documentation of possible solutions for video issues, below.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto

Keep in mind that procedures are model-specific. There are links to more specific information near the bottom of the page. The suggestions are not guaranteed to work, but at least they are written clearly and usually explain how to reverse the procedure. Probably worth bookmarking. Good luck to all.

rtimai
    RS880M [Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series]

Beans

I think you missing the evolution ..

Linux is joining a new era , the era of Gaming. And all this because of the STEAM release and we going to see only advantages with this.

Nvidia allrdy released the version 310 drivers that Doubles the performance on many systems , AMD - ATi is a little back on this but STEAM said that they working together for a new driver to give great performance boost.

I have been waiting for this more than 10 years ! Now i rly hope for Adobe suite ~ peace

Beans

Question Re: Can't install ATI proprietary drivers in 12.10. Unity is Missing

Quote Originally Posted by mwolfe View Post
    Personally, I had tried to install fglrx-updates by command line and afterwards compiz didn't load so when I logged in I had no unity bar or window borders. Turns out you need linux-headers-generic as well.

This is all you need to do:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic fglrx-updates
    If you've already installed some combination of the driver you can try installing linux-headers-generic and see if that fixes the issue. If not, uninstall everything like this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev*
    And then run the command above, reboot, and it should work. Note that I tried restarting lightdm after installing the driver and it didn't work right, I had to do a full reboot for it to work.
    Thanks, installing linux-headers-generic solved it for me. However, I installed the regular fglrx package. I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit with an AMD 6870.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast