Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Can't install ATI proprietary drivers in 12.10. Unity is Missing

Beans

Re: Can't install ATI proprietary drivers in 12.10. Unity is Missing

For your information, I asked AMD if they plan to release an official update for the 4xxx and lower series, in order to support Ubuntu 12.10. This is the response:

Thank you for contacting AMD!

I understand you are asking if Ubuntu 12.10 will be support for the Radeon HD4xxx Graphics solution.

Unfortunately, there isn’t any announcement in regards to Ubuntu 12.10 or driver releases. At the moment you will have to regress back to Ubuntu 12.04 or consider getting the Radeon HD5xxx series and above graphics solution.

[...]

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

In summary, for folks with older ATI cards (2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx) there are two options:
    1) Try Open source:
    Code:
    sudo sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh
    sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev*

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf

sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-core libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

sudo reboot
    or

2) Use legacy proprietary drivers:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge fglrx-amdcccle-legacy fglrx-legacy-dev fglrx-legacy
    sudo rm -R /usr/lib/fglrx
    sudo rm -R /usr/share/ati

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:makson96/fglrx
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install fglrx-legacy
    As for me, I'm using a motherboard with integrated 3xxx series graphics. I've been using option 2 for about a month and playing youtube or mp4 videos was not particularly smooth. Yesterday I moved to option 1 (open source) and from initially testing, I see that the videos play smoothly.

Can anyone with experience or knowledge comment on the differences between these two options? For example, some folks on this thread are experiencing that the open source version runs hot and is not so good on performance (sucks battery). Mine is a desktop.
    Thanks!

Beans

Hello everyone. I have similar problems with a ATI 6770M on HP dv6-6178sl. I tried to install fglrx and fglrx-updates from Software Sources and Unity disappears. I also tried manual installation of the 12.11 beta package but when I reboot the graphical server won't start at all. What can I do? I can't stick with OS drivers because with them I have poor battery life and the laptop heats a lot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello everyone. I am having the same problem as I have a ATI RS880M [Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series] graphic card on my laptop (Dell M301z) running 12.10. The open source drivers are working ok for me, Unity, however, is responding relatively slowly and 3d games are very slow.
    I tried to install the legacy proprietary drivers by using the makson96/fglrx repository as described above, but was left with a black screen after reboot.

I am running the lowlatency kernel from,

ppa:abogani/realtime

that is suggested by the Ubuntu Studio site for low latency recording
    (help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudioPreparation) and I suspect that this might influence the installation of the fglrx drivers. My question is if this is certain or if the actual kernel used does not matter? If so the repository and downgrading of x.org does not work in my case.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thumbs down Re: Can't install ATI proprietary drivers in 12.10. Unity is Missing

i had a ATI 5XXXX and the driver also have a bug i had filled a report so 12.10 ati driver still giving lots of problems ... i should stay in 12.04 but was so stable that i get really boring of nothing breaking any way i had regret it since i cant play yet steam games

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Re: Can't install ATI proprietary drivers in 12.10. Unity is Missing

Quote Originally Posted by blackangelpr View Post
    i had a ATI 5XXXX and the driver also have a bug i had filled a report so 12.10 ati driver still giving lots of problems ... i should stay in 12.04 but was so stable that i get really boring of nothing breaking any way i had regret it since i cant play yet steam games
    just read that ati had no plans so far to make a driver for cards lower than 5XXXX on ubuntu 12.10 so they recommend to stay in 12.04 hope this clear some questions...

as well any one had an error with 13 drivers of having a missing .h ?

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Re: Can't install ATI proprietary drivers in 12.10. Unity is Missing

i get this message window:

One or more tools required for installations cannot be found on the system.
    Install the required tool before installing the fglrx driver. Optionally, run the
    installer with --force option to instal without the tools. Forcing install will disable AMD hardware acceleration and may make your system unstable.
    Not recommend.
    See /usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log for more details.

And inside that log it says:

Supported adapter detected.
    Check if system has the tools required for installation.
    fglrx installation requires that the system have kernel headers. /lib/modules/$
    One or more tools required for installation cannot be found on the system. Inst$
    Optionally, run the installer with --force option to install without the tools.
    Forcing install will disable AMD hardware acceleration and may make your system$

any clue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thumbs down Re: Can't install ATI proprietary drivers in 12.10. Unity is Missing

In my case this is what it worked for me :

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

then installing the driver

thanks to Xchat member on ubuntu channel PatrickDickey

Beans

****If you have a card<5000 use "fglrx-legacy" anything after that, try "fglrx" ****
    ****"fglrx-update" has posed problems for me. I run WOW through wine, I have ATI Radeon HD 3400 and it runs very nicely for me. Also have no issues with TV hook up.

****For cards < 5000
    sudo apt-get remove --purge xorg-driver-fglrx fglrx fglrx-update
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:makson96/fglrx
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install fglrx-legacy
    sudo aticonfig --initial
    sudo shutdown now -rf
    Last edited by bgood86; February 5th, 2013 at 12:00 AM. Reason: lines not separated

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast