I am using Xubuntu 12.04 with kernel 3.5.4 on an AMD Phenom quad core system. I use an Android phone to connect via USB tethering option built into my Cyanogenmod rom. My issue is that it frequently goes offline even though my gain is good on my signal on the device and I am still able to navigate on the device. I know for a fact that my hardware is capable of maintaining a connection using this setup, for I could stay online with Windows 7 for days if needed. (I know you hate to hear that as much as I hate saying it) Even worse...it does not tell me that it has gone offline. I have to find out the hard way when it fails to load a page. Could this be an issue with the kernel or with the USB drivers? Possibly related, my USB external My Passport hard drive does not always load at startup. I have to unplug it and plug it back in to make it mount. Also, my USB bluetooth dongle acts retarded sometimes and causes errors which boots me out of my session. I am assuming that it has to be either a kernel or driver issue. Any suggestions on how I may fix this?