Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu GNOME Remix 12.10 released

Beans

Re: Ubuntu GNOME Remix 12.10 released

Quote Originally Posted by x-shaney-x View Post
    Tried unetbootin and worked fine and now installed to hard drive so definitely a Startup Disk Creator problem.
    Thanks for letting us know

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrrys View Post
    I hear you. I have the age thing going on too. Makes me wonder if part-time help is of any use in gnome related projects.
    My thought is that it's always worthwhile to do what you want to do, but only as much as you're comfortable doing.

I'm finding it easier all the time to just say, "I can't, won't, and have no inclination to do that!"

But I still believe that even the smallest contribution is always appreciated by someone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu's startup disk creator worked fine on precise in my case.
    The new spin is pure awesomeness, especially with gnome3 team ppa
    I am affected by this bug that does not show keyboard layouts though
    ...when you look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks back at you

Beans

Been playing around with this past couple of days and things going really well.
    Especially now the "Dash to Dock" gnome extension has been updated to work 3.6 (provides an intellihide dock. Yes, dodge!!).

However, I am finding I am missing one thing from Unity (and only one thing) - Global Menu!

Of all things, something I hated at first but after using it for so long, going over to shell has reminded me just how ugly window menus look.
    The new nautilus and web etc are a step in the right direction but still a lot of apps to catch up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Does FXAA within Nvidia settings work in the remix? I need it for Flightgear.

Beans

Can people leave feedback on how this remix is treating them? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I'm actually in the process of converting my test Ubuntu/Unity installation into an Ubuntu GNOME Remix installation. I've removed most of the Unity files and added ubuntu-gnome-desktop.

I've also added Gnome 3 PPA so I'm not sure what I've got that isn't in the standard release but I love the new login screen. Everything seems a little more polished than when I last used Gnome Shell but may be that's the due to the upgrade from Gnome 3.4 to 3.6.

Very pleased with what I now have installed.
    I'm one of several regular contributors to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter but the team always needs help. Why not come and join us?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It is quite great actually. Probably the desktop experience that is most unique and coherent, and does not copy from anyone else. Do add the ppa for parts of the latest gnome that were not included in Ubuntu for the full picture. It behaves great with nouveau drivers. It is actually much smoother than Unity according to subjective experience on both my desktop and netbook.

I had to install firefox, thunderbird and libreoffice though, and I am not sure whether it is easier to install regular Ubuntu and then put gnome-shell, or install ubuntu gnome desktop and then add all these programs.

It is a great distro/spin and I apreciate all the work put into it!
    ...when you look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks back at you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've been using this distro in my dedicated distro-hopping partition and am impressed with it. It's quite smooth and I prefer it to Unity (mainly because I detest the launcher, am unimpressed by the dash and don't like the global menu).

My biggest problem with Gnome Shell (and it's really trivial) is that I can't shade windows using the mouse scroll button. You wouldn't think this would be a deal breaker, but it is. I also don't like indicator applets being forced to the bottom of the screen - makes applets like RadioTray much more inconvenient to use. If anyone knows of any Gnome Extensions that can remedy these items, let me know.

I remain interested in the new Pear OS and Luna.
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Beans

Gnome tweak tool has options to toggle shade on user selected clicks (left, right or middle button), not sure if it can do it on scroll though.

There is an extension that can put tray icons back on the top panel: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/495/topicons/

I haven't tried it myself though so can't vouch for it.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast