Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu GNOME Remix 12.10 released

Beans

Ubuntu GNOME Remix 12.10 released

I began to follow this project during Quantal development and you may find some useful notes here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2064293

This project should not be confused with UGR, Ubuntu GNOME Shell Remix, or any other project.

The differences are stark, as the release notes say, "The Ubuntu GNOME Remix is a mostly pure GNOME desktop experience built from the Ubuntu repositories." That's right, Jeremy Bicha and the rest of the development team have worked with the Ubuntu devs to the extent that all needed packages are available in the repos

Basic project info is available here:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-gnome

I highly recommend joining the team and subscribing to the mailing list if you are truly interested in the project. There is also an IRC channel for discussions and questions regarding the development of Ubuntu GNOME Remix:

#ubuntu-gnome
    So, on to the Release Notes which you really should read:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/ReleaseNotes/12.10

Therein you'll find the download links, including torrents and md5sums, along with a list of known issues, etc. The package manifests are available here:

http://bicha.net/ubuntu-gnome-remix/

Now, my personal opinion and interpretation of the project based on my limited understanding and abilities;

# The project is needed so the Ubuntu devs and Gnome devs can work together efficiently on shared interests w/o breaking each others work. While you can actually just install the proper 'ubuntu-gnome' meta-packages from the repos many of the default Ubuntu/Unity settings are incompatible with a pure Gnome DE.

# When Jeremy says "pure Gnome" he means it! Where ever possible the project uses the default Gnome packages such as 'gdm' rather than 'lightdm', 'abiword' rather than 'libreoffice-writer', 'epiphany-browser' rather than 'firefox', etc, etc. Of course you can install whatever packages you wish from the repos.

# While many users focus solely on desktop environment (Unity vs. Gnome Shell vs. Gnome Classic) an even more important consideration is what window manager is in use. Beginning with 12.10 Ubuntu dropped Unity-2D which used Metacity in favor of using Unity with Compiz + llvmpipe. While this may be fine for some users there are a number of graphics chips that simply don't play well with Compiz, even with the new magic

OTOH Gnome, and specifically this remix, uses Mutter which is the clutter-based evolution of Metacity. In fact Compiz is not even installed by default in this remix so only the default Gnome Shell and Gnome classic (no effects) sessions work out-of-box after installation. Compiz (and presumably CCSM) must be installed from the repos to use standard Gnome classic.

# I have a personal desire to keep Metacity and 'gnome-panel' alive because it's simple, lightweight, and just works. It's not an absolute need because Lubuntu is a very reasonable replacement, but if you want something why not try to keep it alive

I really can't think of anything else to add ATM but I'll subscribe to this thread and try to help when and where possible. Just remember that my primary focus is on Gnome classic (no effects) so I can't answer much regarding the default Gnome Shell DE, sorry

WebUpd8 has some pretty great screenshots and a video posted here:

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/10/prefe...ad-ubuntu.html
    Last edited by kansasnoob; October 24th, 2012 at 03:34 AM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu GNOME Remix 12.10 released

Cannot even get it to boot up.
    Tried downloading the torrent then the iso proper and both times I get an error on boot (which I have now forgotten) so doesn't even start up.

Burned with Startup Disk Creator.

Beans
    Hidden!

"The Ubuntu GNOME Remix is a mostly pure GNOME desktop experience built from the Ubuntu repositories."

Its in the repositories yet its in the other OS/Distro Talk forum

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by x-shaney-x View Post
    Cannot even get it to boot up.
    Tried downloading the torrent then the iso proper and both times I get an error on boot (which I have now forgotten) so doesn't even start up.

Burned with Startup Disk Creator.
    I've only tested the i386 version and only with a burn-once DVD which worked really well for me so I suspect it's something to do with Startup Disk Creator

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrrys View Post
    "The Ubuntu GNOME Remix is a mostly pure GNOME desktop experience built from the Ubuntu repositories."

Its in the repositories yet its in the other OS/Distro Talk forum
    In deed, I struggled with that decision. Where do you think would be more appropriate?

I could ask one of the mods to move it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I've only tested the i386 version and only with a burn-once DVD which worked really well for me so I suspect it's something to do with Startup Disk Creator
    Follow up on that

I checked my Beta thread and that was also the first question there (look at post #2 and onward):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2064293

Some day I need to invest in a few more flash drives

Beans
    Hidden!

In deed, I struggled with that decision. Where do you think would be more appropriate?

I could ask one of the mods to move it
    Now that its official we need a Gnome forum

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrrys View Post
    Now that its official we need a Gnome forum
    Well, I think it would be best to think of it as "semi-official". The goal is to become a full fledged Ubuntu flavor but there are still some hoops to jump through.

We can't permanently use the name "Ubuntu GNOME Remix", that's just a transitional name that represents the meta-packages available in the repos.

One of the greatest obstacles is developing a QA team. I helped a little with that when Lubuntu was new but I just don't have the stamina anymore due to age and illness

Beans

Tried unetbootin and worked fine and now installed to hard drive so definitely a Startup Disk Creator problem.

Beans
    Hidden!

One of the greatest obstacles is developing a QA team. I helped a little with that when Lubuntu was new but I just don't have the stamina anymore due to age and illness
    I hear you. I have the age thing going on too. Makes me wonder if part-time help is of any use in gnome related projects.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast