Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quantal (12.10) Known bugs and work arounds

Beans

Re: Quantal (12.10) Know bugs and work arounds

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Keep in mind, that Linux is infinitely customizable, you do not have to stick with Unity as a desktop environment if you do not want to.
    Yeah! It seems Ubuntu Linux is not the very customizable now days. :/

Issue: after upgrade *-desktop packages may attract unwanted packages into your installation.

Example: Upgrade LUbuntu 12.04 installation to 12.10. Package lubuntu-desktop depends on NetworkManager. Network Manager was purged and replaced with Wicd before upgrade. After upgrade you'll have Wicd + NetworkManager installed again. It is not possible to remove NM ease due to dependency of lubuntu-desktop on it.

As workaround was used:
    Code:
    dpkg --purge --force-depends network-manager network-manager-gnome network-manager-pptp network-manager-pptp-gnome
    after upgrade.

This will bring up update-notifier in system tray with annoying permanent message, with red problem sign in tray, about how to get back Netw.Manag. This was treated as:
    Code:
    dpkg --purge --force-depends update-notifier
    Take a note: these workarounds are ugly. They have side effects.

Beans

It seems there may be an issue with the filesystem randomly going into read-only mode. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1063354

I am running AMD 64bit and updated from 12.04 to 12.10 the other day. I have / and /home partitions set and noticed yesterday that at random times, one or other of the partitions would suddenly go into read-only mode requiring me to reboot. Today I've booted into the 3.2.0-32 kernel and so far have not gotten the problem (keeping fingers crossed).

I've also run smart tests and my HD is reporting as healthy on all tests so I don't think it's my drive and this is indeed the bug reported in that launchpad link. If anybody else is experiencing this as well, please go to the link and click on "This bug affects me" to give this more attention.

Beans

Not really wanting to dirty up this thread but -
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi!, All RE: Need for Linux-headers to be installed for video driver installation.

AFAIK: What is needed is not: 'linux-headers- generic' but, ....
    linux-headers-generic is a meta package & will install the proper linux-headers-generic* as a dep.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Though the Greeter login screen did not have an option to run anything else until I installed 'gnome-session-fallback'.
    It will not, will it?

Unity 2D is not available in 12.10 or ever afterwards. So, unlike 12.04 which put us into Unity 2D if Unity 3D could not be run on the open source drivers, we now have a system that gives a 3D experience without Unity 2D.

So, with the 12.10 login screen we only get one option until we install an alternative desktop environment ourselves.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Installing nvidia, fglrx drivers may produce an unusable desktop

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    There seems to be an issue on fresh & maybe upgrade installs when installing any of the nvidia-* drivers.(& probably also fglrx is the same
    linux-headers-generic (linux-headers-3.5.0-17-generic) is not default installed & will not be installed when installing the nvidia-* package
    (I believe the dep is improperly satisfied by linux-headers which is default installed

This will cause the kernel module not to be built & when rebooting users will not get a fully working Desktop.

So before installing any of the nvidia drivers or fglrx best to -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    Couldn't find a current bug on which was surprising, ??, so filed one
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1068456
    and or
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1068488

This is a common bug affecting both nvidia and ati, one that will move new users of Ubuntu forever away from the distro. Earlier ati catalyst install would give an error with jockey and thankfully that has been fixed but anyone using hardware driver on 12.10 to install video driver would boot into blank desktop hell. Wonder how this passed through QC.

Beans

I have a problem related to fglrx but I am not sure if it is the same as this or not. I have linux-headers-generic installed and I am using an ATI Radeon HD 7500 series card.
    If I install the catalyst drivers they don't seem to work properly.
    I had a situation yesterday (I upgraded from Precise using do-release-upgrade) where lightdm was convinced that everything was fine (it played the login chimes) and my Xorg.0.log looked o.k. (http://paste.ubuntu.com/1291873/) but nothing was coming up on screen.

Everything is working o.k. (well as o.k. as can be expected) with open source drivers. It's particularly annoying as I just bought a new monitor before upgrading to Quetzal and was enjoying HD for the first time since buying my computer! I thought, "wow I'll upgrade to Quetzal" - big mistake now stuck back in the world of open source drivers!

Once I got things working, I tried to install the Catalyst drivers from the gui and while they seemed to be working the screen looked a bit fuzzy. This had happened even under Precise until I rebooted, but in this case I was back to a black screen until I reverted to open source ATI drivers.

Beans
    Distro

One thing I noticed is that, I have 3Ghz processor but I was able to run only on 2Ghz. I solved my problem with program called cpu frequency scaling indicator. From now on I am able to reach 3Ghz when I need to (intensive programs etc,..).

Regards.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

your pretzel can only hard landing, but quantal quetzal knows how to fly

Beans

Re: Installing nvidia, fglrx drivers may produce an unusable desktop

I also had a problem with the Nvidia driver on my fresh install of ubuntu 12.10.

I used the 64bit iso but after trying a few things without success I decided to try the 32bit iso and the Nvidia driver worked fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

I installed 12.10 and ran into a problem similar to that in 12.04 -- after a full, successful install, booting would only get a CLI and the (intramfs) prompt.

After some searching, I found and confirmed that the following minor change gets it booting again:

Add "rootdelay=90" to the linux command line parms.

I tried this by first editing boot.cfg -- and it worked great.

Then, I used Grub-customizer to insert this into the default commandline parms, and ran update-grub.

So, if your install appeared to go OK but you now get a text mode screen with (intramfs), try this -- it may work for you.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast