Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quantal (12.10) Known bugs and work arounds

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quantal (12.10) Known bugs and work arounds

Please post the bugs you have run into and how you worked around them here.

Do not post your problems, please raise a support thread.

Keep in mind, that Linux is infinitely customizable, you do not have to stick with Unity as a desktop environment if you do not want to.

I'd suggest you check the Release Notes, for the version you are using, before posting a bug.
    Last edited by cariboo; October 20th, 2012 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Added info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Quantal (12.10) Know bugs and work arounds

There is a known bug concerning raid. The alternate iso has been dropped in favour of moving all the functionality to the Live CD. As of the release of QUantal raid installation don't work.

If you need or want to install Quantal on a raid array, use the Mini/Netinst iso

Note The Quantal mini/netinst iso hasn't been added to this page yet, but should be in the next day or two. It's there now.
    Last edited by cariboo; October 20th, 2012 at 05:06 AM.

Beans

Re: Installing nvidia, fglrx drivers may produce an unusable desktop

There seems to be an issue on fresh & maybe upgrade installs when installing any of the nvidia-* drivers.(& probably also fglrx is the same
    linux-headers-generic (linux-headers-3.5.0-17-generic) is not default installed & will not be installed when installing the nvidia-* package
    (I believe the dep is improperly satisfied by linux-headers which is default installed

This will cause the kernel module not to be built & when rebooting users will not get a fully working Desktop.

So before installing any of the nvidia drivers or fglrx best to -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    Edit:
    It's been decided not to adjust the nvidia-* or fglrx packages so people need to do as above or maybe complain on this bug

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1068488
    Last edited by mc4man; October 24th, 2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: won't fix in driver packages, removed one bug link

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Installing nvidia drivers may produce an unusable desktop

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    There seems to be an issue on fresh installs when installing any of the nvidia-* drivers.
    linux-headers-generic (linux-headers-3.5.0-17-generic) is not default installed & will not be installed when installing the nvidia-* package
    (I believe the dep is improperly satisfied by linux-headers which is default installed

This will cause the kernel module not to be built & when rebooting users will not get a fully working Desktop.

So before installing any of the nvidia drivers best to -
    Code:
    Couldn't find a current bug on which was surprising, ??, so filed one
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1068456
    I wonder if that's the same reason the fglrx drivers are not working I will have to test that tomorrow. I will add it to this post if it works out.

I got home and ran
    Code:
    apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    After these were installed I went to software sources and activated the fglrx driver.

I restarted the system and now its working!

Code:
    *-display
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: PITCAIRN PRO [Radeon HD 7800 Series]
           vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
           version: 00
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=fglrx_pci latency=0
           resources: irq:48 memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f7e00000-f7e3ffff ioport:e000(size=256) memory:f7e40000-f7e5ffff
    Last edited by novafluxx; October 20th, 2012 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Update

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Couldn't log into GNOME session. Fix: logged in via Unity, ran an update (which I doubt had anything to do with it), logged out and tried GNOME again. Voilá.

Now I need to figure out why my 64-bit machine won't even get to the login screen. Yikes!
    “Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.” -- Bertrand Russell

Beans

Re: Installing nvidia drivers may produce an unusable desktop

Quote Originally Posted by novafluxx View Post
    I wonder if that's the same reason the fglrx drivers are not working I will have to test that tomorrow. I will add it to this post if it works out.
    Sadly I have the kernel headers installed but no joy in getting fglrx installed/working right.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    There seems to be an issue on fresh & maybe upgrade installs when installing any of the nvidia-* drivers.(& probably also fglrx is the same

So before installing any of the nvidia drivers or fglrx best to -
    Code:
    Couldn't find a current bug on which was surprising, ??, so filed one
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1068456
    and or
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1068488

This is a common bug affecting both nvidia and ati, one that will move new users of Ubuntu forever away from the distro. Earlier ati catalyst install would give an error with jockey and thankfully that has been fixed but anyone using hardware driver on 12.10 to install video driver would boot into blank desktop hell. Wonder how this passed through QC.

Beans

I have a problem related to fglrx but I am not sure if it is the same as this or not. I have linux-headers-generic installed and I am using an ATI Radeon HD 7500 series card.
    If I install the catalyst drivers they don't seem to work properly.
    I had a situation yesterday (I upgraded from Precise using do-release-upgrade) where lightdm was convinced that everything was fine (it played the login chimes) and my Xorg.0.log looked o.k. (http://paste.ubuntu.com/1291873/) but nothing was coming up on screen.

Everything is working o.k. (well as o.k. as can be expected) with open source drivers. It's particularly annoying as I just bought a new monitor before upgrading to Quetzal and was enjoying HD for the first time since buying my computer! I thought, "wow I'll upgrade to Quetzal" - big mistake now stuck back in the world of open source drivers!

Once I got things working, I tried to install the Catalyst drivers from the gui and while they seemed to be working the screen looked a bit fuzzy. This had happened even under Precise until I rebooted, but in this case I was back to a black screen until I reverted to open source ATI drivers.

Beans
    Distro

One thing I noticed is that, I have 3Ghz processor but I was able to run only on 2Ghz. I solved my problem with program called cpu frequency scaling indicator. From now on I am able to reach 3Ghz when I need to (intensive programs etc,..).

Regards.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans

I also had a problem with the Nvidia driver on my fresh install of ubuntu 12.10.

I used the 64bit iso but after trying a few things without success I decided to try the 32bit iso and the Nvidia driver worked fine.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast