Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Quantal (12.10) Known bugs and work arounds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Quantal (12.10) Know bugs and work arounds

If any one is interested in getting Emerald Window Manager back since it is no longer in the repos,
    the directions on this page worked flawlessly on a few installs.

It works as well on 12.10 as 12.04 too.

http://ubuntuportal.com/2012/06/http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/06/how-to-install-emerald-from-source-on.html

But, in the command in CCSM Windows Decoration at the bottom of that page instead of putting just emerald, I put /usr/bin/emerald.

Reboot or logout and it works pretty well.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Quantal (12.10) Known bugs and work arounds

Bug: Encrypted External USB Drives Don't Automount

You can see the thread I started regarding this here.

The workaround is as follows:

1. Open Disks (Disk Utility in 12.04) by pressing the Super (Windows) key and typing in "Disks." Click the Disks icon.
    2. Locate the encrypted USB drive if it's already plugged in, or plug it in if it's not and it will appear in the left column under Disk Drives.
    3. Click the encrypted drive in Disk Drives to select it.
    4. In the Volumes section, click the padlock icon and enter the passphrase in the dialog that pops up to unlock the drive.
    5. Click the filesystem that appears in Volumes once the drive is unlocked.
    6. Click the icon to mount the file system.

The drive should now appear in the Launcher and in Nautilus in the Computer section (not in Devices as in 12.04) and you can use it as usual.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

The Nvidia bug listed here has affected me for Nvidia 6200 gt. I could not get this resolved or installed or activated no matter what I tried. The headers where already installed, but tried reinstalling anyway. Didn't work.
    Currently is running the nouveau driver and it's actually working pretty well. Otherwise Nvidia is a FAIL.

Other issue for me was broadcomm wireless, actually specifically the NDISWrapper module would not install. Here is the work around I used very successfully.
    1.Download the latest tarball fromhttp://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/files/testing/
    2. Extract it somewhere then enter that folder in konsole (terminal)
    3. run the commands as follows one at a time:
    make
    sudo make install
    modprobe ndiswrapper

this write up can be found here with additional information:
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/kubun...82409625173154

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by buzzmandt View Post
    The Nvidia bug listed here has affected me for Nvidia 6200 gt. I could not get this resolved or installed or activated no matter what I tried. The headers where already installed, but tried reinstalling anyway. Didn't work.
    Currently is running the nouveau driver and it's actually working pretty well. Otherwise Nvidia is a FAIL.

Other issue for me was broadcomm wireless, actually specifically the NDISWrapper module would not install. Here is the work around I used very successfully.
    1.Download the latest tarball fromhttp://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/files/testing/
    2. Extract it somewhere then enter that folder in konsole (terminal)
    3. run the commands as follows one at a time:
    make
    sudo make install
    modprobe ndiswrapper

this write up can be found here with additional information:
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/kubun...82409625173154

The newer version of nvidia won't install on your card,add the xswat ppa and install 173 drivers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxisfast View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Note View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new to the forums, this being my first post. Just installed Ubuntu 12.10 six days ago and I encountered a problem with the standby function: even if the screen setting to turn off when inactive is set to 1 hour, my screen turns off every 10 minutes. This is extremely annoying when I am watching videos on Firefox/Chromium. Did this happen to anyone? Is there any way to fix it?
    In system settings>power management, set the screen off to never.
    No - I get the same issue as described above. Screen off is set to never (having previously tried 1 hour). Lock screen is turned off (having previously tried 1 hour after screen off). Either way the same thing happens - after about 10 minutes the screen turns off. This doesn't seem to happen while watching vids through XBMC even though I'm just running it as an app on top of Unity.

This also isn't the first time it's happened in Ubuntu - the screen power management showed the same bug about two or three releases ago and was only patched a few months into the release cycle.

Edit to add I've not found a workaround for this yet so probably shouldn't be posting in this thread, sorry!!
    Last edited by Pyloo; November 4th, 2012 at 07:20 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pyloo View Post
    No - I get the same issue as described above. Screen off is set to never (having previously tried 1 hour). Lock screen is turned off (having previously tried 1 hour after screen off). Either way the same thing happens - after about 10 minutes the screen turns off. This doesn't seem to happen while watching vids through XBMC even though I'm just running it as an app on top of Unity.

This also isn't the first time it's happened in Ubuntu - the screen power management showed the same bug about two or three releases ago and was only patched a few months into the release cycle.

Edit to add I've not found a workaround for this yet so probably shouldn't be posting in this thread, sorry!!
    I think I may have had the same problem in Kubuntu. What's the output of this?
    Code:
    xset -q

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pyloo View Post

most probably your xscreen saver is giving you a black screen after w while.

try this:
    xset s off

to make this permanently you have to add it to your xinitrc.

this annoyed the hell out of me until i discovered this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Quantal (12.10) Know bugs and work arounds - Wobbly windows etc

Wobbly windows and other effects are not installed in the default install.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install compiz-plugins-extra
    Will solve this. As always be careful with compizconfig-settings-manager which by the way needs to be installed too if you haven't done so already.

[edit] you'll need to either log out and back in or use the code setsid unity to see the changes take effect.
    Last edited by philinux; November 5th, 2012 at 03:37 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecold1995 View Post
    I think I may have had the same problem in Kubuntu. What's the output of this?
    Code:
    xset -q
    Here's my output for xset still shows a 10 minute screen saver even though it's set to never. How do I change that?

Code:
    Keyboard Control:
      auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000000
      XKB indicators:
        00: Caps Lock:   off    01: Num Lock:    off    02: Scroll Lock: off
        03: Compose:     off    04: Kana:        off    05: Sleep:       off
        06: Suspend:     off    07: Mute:        off    08: Misc:        off
        09: Mail:        off    10: Charging:    off    11: Shift Lock:  off
        12: Group 2:     off    13: Mouse Keys:  off
      auto repeat delay:  500    repeat rate:  33
      auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf
                            fadfffefffedffff
                            9fffffffffffffff
                            fff7ffffffffffff
      bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100
    Pointer Control:
      acceleration:  7/2    threshold:  7
    Screen Saver:
      prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
      timeout:  600    cycle:  600
    Colors:
      default colormap:  0x20    BlackPixel:  0x0    WhitePixel:  0xffffff
    Font Path:
      /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,built-ins
    DPMS (Energy Star):
      Standby: 0    Suspend: 0    Off: 0
      DPMS is Enabled
      Monitor is On
    What I'm dealin' with:
    HP Pavilion G6-1D60US, dual booted: Ubuntu 16.04 64bit, & Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, 640 gig HDD, 4 gig RAM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quantal Quetzel does not display the date in the upper right hand corner.

The workaround for that using dconf-editor is here.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast