Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: cannot access ubuntu 12.04 SAMBA share from windows 7 using hostname

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: cannot access ubuntu 12.04 SAMBA share from windows 7 using hostname

    Quote Originally Posted by Cfhs_1 View Post
    Code:
    ..
    NTLMSSP Sign/Seal - Initialising with flags:
    Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x60088215
    	\\NICHOLAS-LAPTOP		
    Connecting to host=NICHOLAS-LAPTOP
    name_resolve_bcast: Attempting broadcast lookup for name NICHOLAS-LAPTOP<0x20>
    cli_start_connection: failed to connect to NICHOLAS-LAPTOP<20> (0.0.0.0). Error NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
    	\\NICHOLAS-DSKTOP		nicholas-desktop server (Samba, Ubuntu)
    Connecting to host=NICHOLAS-DSKTOP
    name_resolve_bcast: Attempting broadcast lookup for name NICHOLAS-DSKTOP<0x20>
    Got a positive name query response from 192.168.2.6 ( 192.168.2.6 )
    Connecting to 192.168.2.6 at port 445
    Doing spnego session setup (blob length=58)
    got OID=1.3.6.1.4.1.311.2.2.10
    got principal=NONE
    Got challenge flags:
    Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x608a8215
    NTLMSSP: Set final flags:
    Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x60088215
    NTLMSSP Sign/Seal - Initialising with flags:
    Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x60088215
    		\\NICHOLAS-DSKTOP\File Server    	File Server on Nicholas-Desktop
    		\\NICHOLAS-DSKTOP\IPC$           	IPC Service (nicholas-desktop server (Samba, Ubuntu))
    Please post the output of
    Code:
    smbclient -L NICHOLAS-DSKTOP
    Are you browsing "network neighborhood" or trying to mount a specific known share?
    -BAB1

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Beans
    113
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: cannot access ubuntu 12.04 SAMBA share from windows 7 using hostname

    Quote Originally Posted by bab1 View Post
    Please post the output of
    Code:
    smbclient -L NICHOLAS-DSKTOP
    Are you browsing "network neighborhood" or trying to mount a specific known share?
    smbclient -L NICHOLAS-DSKTOP:
    Code:
    Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.3]
    
    	Sharename       Type      Comment
    	---------       ----      -------
    	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (nicholas-desktop server (Samba, Ubuntu))
    	networkshare    Disk      Network Storage on Nicholas-Desktop
    Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.3]
    
    	Server               Comment
    	---------            -------
    	MATT-LAPTOP          
    	NICHOLAS-DSKTOP      nicholas-desktop server (Samba, Ubuntu)
    	NICHOLAS-LAPTOP      
    
    	Workgroup            Master
    	---------            -------
    	WORKGROUP            NICHOLAS-DSKTOP
    I've tried both methods everytime, neither work.
    Dell Vostro, 6GB RAM, Intel Core i5 (Sandy Bridge) @ 2.5GHz, ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: cannot access ubuntu 12.04 SAMBA share from windows 7 using hostname

    Quote Originally Posted by Cfhs_1 View Post
    smbclient -L NICHOLAS-DSKTOP:
    Code:
    Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.3]
    
    	Sharename       Type      Comment
    	---------       ----      -------
    	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (nicholas-desktop server (Samba, Ubuntu))
    	networkshare    Disk      Network Storage on Nicholas-Desktop
    Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.3]
    
    	Server               Comment
    	---------            -------
    	MATT-LAPTOP          
    	NICHOLAS-DSKTOP      nicholas-desktop server (Samba, Ubuntu)
    	NICHOLAS-LAPTOP      
    
    	Workgroup            Master
    	---------            -------
    	WORKGROUP            NICHOLAS-DSKTOP
    I've tried both methods everytime, neither work.
    From the above it appears that the Ubuntu host (NICHOLAS-DSKTOP) is working. As a matter of fact it is serving as the Master Browser database for the network. I think your problem is with the WIndows machine. It may have a FW that is blocking Samba (CIFS). What is MATT_LAPTOP? Is that a visitor to the network? It appears to have shares or at least it is broadcasting its NETBIOS name. From NICHOLAS-DSKTOP can you browse shares on MATT-LAPTOP? Can you browse shares on NICHOLAS-DSKTOP from MATT-LAPTOP?
    -BAB1

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Beans
    113
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: cannot access ubuntu 12.04 SAMBA share from windows 7 using hostname

    Quote Originally Posted by bab1 View Post
    From the above it appears that the Ubuntu host (NICHOLAS-DSKTOP) is working. As a matter of fact it is serving as the Master Browser database for the network. I think your problem is with the WIndows machine. It may have a FW that is blocking Samba (CIFS). What is MATT_LAPTOP? Is that a visitor to the network? It appears to have shares or at least it is broadcasting its NETBIOS name. From NICHOLAS-DSKTOP can you browse shares on MATT-LAPTOP? Can you browse shares on NICHOLAS-DSKTOP from MATT-LAPTOP?
    I turned NICHOLAS-LAPTOP's FW off, still no access. I cannot access anything on "MATT-LAPTOP" from "NICHOLAS-DSKTOP" I CAN however access "NICHOLAS-DSKTOP" from "MATT-LAPTOP" through both directly entering it's name in explorer, and browsing the network. "MATT-LAPTOP" is a windows client. This seems to mean that the problem is actually my windows client, "NICHOLAS-LAPTOP" What could it be?
    NCB
    Dell Vostro, 6GB RAM, Intel Core i5 (Sandy Bridge) @ 2.5GHz, ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: cannot access ubuntu 12.04 SAMBA share from windows 7 using hostname

    Quote Originally Posted by Cfhs_1 View Post
    I turned NICHOLAS-LAPTOP's FW off, still no access. I cannot access anything on "MATT-LAPTOP" from "NICHOLAS-DSKTOP" I CAN however access "NICHOLAS-DSKTOP" from "MATT-LAPTOP" through both directly entering it's name in explorer, and browsing the network. "MATT-LAPTOP" is a windows client. This seems to mean that the problem is actually my windows client, "NICHOLAS-LAPTOP" What could it be?
    NCB
    I don't admin Windows machines so I wouldn't have a clue. The Windows laptop I have is Vista and I just made sure was capable of browsing the network when I acquired it. Vista worked right out of the box.

    Just to be sure here; you are saying that you can browse "network neighborhood" and see NICHOLAS-DSKTOP from MATT-LAPTOP. If this is correct then you have achived what you started out to do with this thread (e.g. Make NICHOLAS-DSKTOP broadcast its presence by name on the network with a dynamic IP address).

    I would try one of the Win7 forums or start a new thread at this forum to answer your just revealed problem with your Windows laptop. Out of curiosity, can the laptops see the other?
    -BAB1

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Beans
    113
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: cannot access ubuntu 12.04 SAMBA share from windows 7 using hostname

    Quote Originally Posted by bab1 View Post
    I don't admin Windows machines so I wouldn't have a clue. The Windows laptop I have is Vista and I just made sure was capable of browsing the network when I acquired it. Vista worked right out of the box.

    Just to be sure here; you are saying that you can browse "network neighborhood" and see NICHOLAS-DSKTOP from MATT-LAPTOP. If this is correct then you have achived what you started out to do with this thread (e.g. Make NICHOLAS-DSKTOP broadcast its presence by name on the network with a dynamic IP address).

    I would try one of the Win7 forums or start a new thread at this forum to answer your just revealed problem with your Windows laptop. Out of curiosity, can the laptops see the other?
    Thanks for all your help! "MATT-LAPTOP" can see "NICHOLAS-LAPTOP" but "NICHOLAS-LAPTOP" can only see it's self.
    NCB
    Dell Vostro, 6GB RAM, Intel Core i5 (Sandy Bridge) @ 2.5GHz, ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: cannot access ubuntu 12.04 SAMBA share from windows 7 using hostname

    Quote Originally Posted by Cfhs_1 View Post
    Thanks for all your help! "MATT-LAPTOP" can see "NICHOLAS-LAPTOP" but "NICHOLAS-LAPTOP" can only see it's self.
    NCB
    Well that confirms it. You need to fix NICHOLAS-LAPTOP before it can see any shares.

    BTW - You are the first person I have found on this forum that wanted to use DHCP and broadcasting NETBIOS names for name resolution. I knew it would work but I had never set it up with Ubuntu before. It certainly is easier than setting up dynamic name resolution with DNS.
    -BAB1

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Beans
    113
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: cannot access ubuntu 12.04 SAMBA share from windows 7 using hostname

    Quote Originally Posted by bab1 View Post
    Well that confirms it. You need to fix NICHOLAS-LAPTOP before it can see any shares.

    BTW - You are the first person I have found on this forum that wanted to use DHCP and broadcasting NETBIOS names for name resolution. I knew it would work but I had never set it up with Ubuntu before. It certainly is easier than setting up dynamic name resolution with DNS.
    Thanks for all your help, I couldn't have gotten this done without you. I think I'm just going to reinstall windows on my Laptop as it is clearly the problem here. I can access "NICHOLAS-DSKTOP" from both "MATT-LAPTOP" as well as my other ubuntu box. "NICHOLAS-LAPTOP" is the only one that cannot access anything.
    NCB
    Dell Vostro, 6GB RAM, Intel Core i5 (Sandy Bridge) @ 2.5GHz, ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: cannot access ubuntu 12.04 SAMBA share from windows 7 using hostname

    Quote Originally Posted by Cfhs_1 View Post
    Thanks for all your help, I couldn't have gotten this done without you. I think I'm just going to reinstall windows on my Laptop as it is clearly the problem here. I can access "NICHOLAS-DSKTOP" from both "MATT-LAPTOP" as well as my other ubuntu box. "NICHOLAS-LAPTOP" is the only one that cannot access anything.
    NCB
    Reinstalling might be the fastest as we know that the other Windows machines work. Good luck.

    Write down what we did so you can refer to it if you want to configure the other Ubuntu host you have. Remember this only works for Samba. I don't know of any other apps that use NETBIOS for name rez.
    -BAB1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •