Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Avoid the pain of Windows 8, use Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Avoid the pain of Windows 8, use Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CodingBeaver View Post
    ... and I don't believe LibreOffice (or OpenOffice) can replace Microsoft Office, oh boy, did I just touch a sensitive topic here?
    Which is better is subjective and depends on what all one chooses to factor in in order to decide.

As far as it being a sensitive topic, I'm sure it should be for those who are locked into a pay-as-you-go upgrade situation.

It's a bit amusing to note that MS Office is now the last bastion being defended. At one time, it was Internet Explorer that was touted as the must-have. Bad coding and browser-sniffing held that facade up as long as possible but the market went on its own way.

So all the best to those who seem to be earning their livelihoods from pushing MS Office.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I wish I could use Ubuntu full time, at least at home (I am a Windows developer, so I have to use Windows at work). But every time after I used Ubuntu for a while, I had to either to dual boot with Windows, or just roll back to Windows. Office suite is the biggest stumbling block, and I don't believe LibreOffice (or OpenOffice) can replace Microsoft Office, oh boy, did I just touch a sensitive topic here?
    Google Documents in my experience is much more useful than LibreOffice. I also prefer it to MS Office.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    Good marketing? Bad marketing? ...
    I'm going with bad marketing. Kudos to whoever yanked it off the screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    It does seem In a way to go against the ubuntu code of conduct. Since I've never tried W8 I've no position on it.

I can't understand slagging off win 8 on ubuntu.com I thought we were above that.
    I have the same feeling. I even entered the forum, just to comment on that ad, after reading about it on a Brazilian tech news site.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread. I was posting in the Steam thread. Dunno what happened.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; October 19th, 2012 at 07:49 AM.

Apparently, the wording was changed.

Attached is a screen shot of the old page.
    Thank you for the screenshot

I expect it was removed as it was not in the spirit of Ubuntu and certainly against the Ubuntu Code of Conduct.

I generally don't think it is fair to review or even comment on Windows 8 until it is officially released on October 26th.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    Google Documents in my experience is much more useful than LibreOffice. I also prefer it to MS Office.
    the following CSO Online : 6 ways we gave up our privacy
    is a little dated but highly relevant. if anything we have gone further down the "yellow brick road"... Even Canonical is in this.... like the new "lens" in the 12.10 Dash -- searching into Amazon areas if i remember right

marketing places terrific pressure on the electronic communication industry -- for information about customers. i see this as the main reason i'm switching to Linux: I have no idea what they are running in my Win7 box -- and little hope of ever finding out
    Last edited by mike acker; October 19th, 2012 at 12:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by s.fox View Post
    I expect it was removed as it was not in the spirit of Ubuntu and certainly against the Ubuntu Code of Conduct.
    I've been wondering a bit about this. Maybe this is too off-topic (or a recurring discussion?), but is Ubuntu's Bug #1, sub-titled "liberation," in the spirit of Ubuntu? The bug report specifically singles out Windows (and Mac OS X) as proprietary software, and says that such software "leaves users at the mercy of the software owner and concentrates control over the technology which powers our society into the hands of a few . . . [and] stifles innovation, maintains artificial scarcities, and enables malicious anti-features such as DRM, surveillance, and other monopolistic practices." On these forums, however, I've seen many people say "use whatever works for you" or even recommend that someone stick with Windows, and the above sort of bad-talking of specific operating systems -- particularly ideologically-charged talk that views leaving such operating systems as "liberation" -- seems to be discouraged, if not explicitly against the rules. I'm a bit confused by this.

I'm not trying to push for either side here. Just genuinely uncertain.
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mike acker View Post
    the following CSO Online : 6 ways we gave up our privacy
    is a little dated but highly relevant. if anything we have gone further down the "yellow brick road"... Even Canonical is in this.... like the new "lens" in the 12.10 Dash -- searching into Amazon areas if i remember right

marketing places terrific pressure on the electronic communication industry -- for information about customers. i see this as the main reason i'm switching to Linux: I have no idea what they are running in my Win7 box -- and little hope of ever finding out
    Despite the FUD, Google has always been better at preserving privacy than Facebook, Apple, credit card companies, etc... Google makes money on clicks, not on 'selling' data like some people believe. Algorithms based on cookies match users to ads, not some employee looking at the sites you visit...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Exactly. Every company in the world advertises negatively about their competitors. We could probably easily list a hundred examples. It's not out of the ordinary, so I don't think it's a big deal.
    In America, yes; it's rather uncommon and generally frowned upon in the UK.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast