Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 Desktop does not show when I install nvidia drivers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 Desktop does not shows when i installed nvidia drivers!

Did you install the kernel headers first? For me that installed the current kernel's headers.

sudo apt-get install linux-headers
    sudp apt-get purge nvidia*
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-current

change nvidia-current to nvidia-current-updates or nvidia-experiment-304 if you want to be an the edge or really need the newer version for some reason.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Don't install nVidia drivers for Intel GPUs. Same goes for ATI. If you mean you have an onboard Intel GPU AND a separate (discrete) nVidia GPU, you will have to stick to nouveau since using proprietary drivers blocks off access to other GPU drivers.

@oldfred, 304 is not edgy. That's a blunt edge. 310 is edgy :3
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

thanks I removed the nvidia drivers completely and now it works. I get unity launcher.

However the system has become dreadfully slow.

Any tweaks?

Beans

I have been fighting with this issue for two days now and I am quite frustrated.

As soon as I install the properietray nVidia drivers (my viao runs with NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M LE GPU) reboot works fine and I get the Login menu, but when I log in there is no unity Launcher... when I remove the nvidia proprietary drivers and then reboot, sometimes the login window does not show (and I type in my password blind to login), my desktop is back but due to the compiz demon sometimes the performance lags (5-40% cpu hog) and there are frequent desktop crashes and black screens (of death ala windows blue screen of death). Usually cleaning up ~/.compiz* and ~/.config/compiz* directories + "setsid unity" + reboot restores my environment for a while...

Disabling/Enabling stuff over the compiz management interface (ccsm command) almost everytime crashes my desktop with no possibilty of recovery unless I go through the cycle of deleting the aforementioned directories + reboot etc...

I have done 30+ reboots since yesterday...

I am at a loss as to why 12.10 was released without any possibilty to stick with the 2D interface which is stable. I really don't care about these 3D bells and whistles. I wish there was a relatively painless way to revert to 12.04 that was a relatively good release.

My message to ubuntu: I know that there is no implied warranty etc. etc. when we use this software but still, my (and others I am sure) work existentially depends on this platform nowadays so please be a bit more careful, take your time in releasing! By definition, a release is a stable thing...I learned my lesson and will not upgrade this fast again!

In any case, if anyone has an idea how resolve the sitiation, e.g. disable compiz (!&%?!) without compromising my whole installation I really would appreciate it if you shared it...

thank you very much

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

When at screen with no Unity bar. Right click may give some info.

cntrl-alt f1 or f2 to get to terminal also works
    (Same for fglrx also)

If headers are installed you can do this also at screen.

When you see you are in the desktop but no icon or bar, right click to change desktop background
    When the window appear, click on all settings, now you see the system settings window.
    Next, click on Software source, go in the additional drivers tab.
    Select the 3 rd option, using video driver for the nvidia or AMD... fglrx-upgrade
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

thanks alot for your reply... I went through all the steps as you described but in the last screen where I except to see addtional drivers, the list is empty and it says "No proprietary drivers are in use"

what should I do now?

My unity desktop still has no launcher

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    cntrl-alt f1 or f2 to get to terminal also works
    Code:
    (Same for fglrx also)
    There is no need to purge and reinstall the driver. dpkg-reconfigure will make the driver compile. Else it's just going to compile the driver another time.
    Last edited by Lisiano; October 21st, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

Beans

Thank you for your help again. Instead wasting more time trying to repair 12.10 I reinstalled 12.04 as I was quite happy with it. I think leaving out unity 2D in the new release was a big mistake. Compiz is quite buggy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lisiano View Post
    Really? REALLY? Package maintainers. Why the heck did you forget to add linux-headers-generic as a dependency!? (EDIT: Nvm, it is actually a dependency, why the heck didn't it get pulled during installation then...)

Guh.

Anyway, to fix this "bug", you will need to install this linux-headers-generic. After that, revert to nouveau (If you didn't already) and install whatever driver you wanted to use.

Or if you are too lazy to revert first, open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) then type in the following:

This if you have nvidia-current (proprietary,tested)
    Code:

Then after a reboot, all will be dandy.
    I fist got an error messsage saying that nvidia-current was not correctly installed. I then tried a

and now things work!

Thank you very much for pointing out the way to go and check!

Espen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

+1 encountered the same problem and fortunately noticed that "linux-headers-3.5.0-17" was removed at the end of the fresh installation

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast