Thread: Never before had a problem Ubuntu desktop graphical display; Trying to use nvidia GT6

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Never before had a problem Ubuntu desktop graphical display; Trying to use nvidia GT6

I've been using ubuntu since 9.04 and never had a problem with Ubuntu bringing up the desktop graphical user interface. However I am currently not able to see anything graphical past the install screens.

I have an Intel DP55KG motherboard and just installed an nvidia gt630 graphics card (zotac), since the old graphics card failed.

I can install the server and see text. So I do a apt-get install ubuntu-desktop...or apt-get install kubuntu-desktop...or apt-get install xubuntu desktop, but after the reboot there is no display...it is like something is hung up. I tried using the live quantal dvd and I do see the graphical prompt to try without installing, but after selecting that the screen goes blank. I've tried two monitors and the same thing happens. There is a faint "glow" on the screen and I do not get a "no input signal" from the monitor, so something is happening.

I can install an old OEM of XP so I know the video card and motherboard are at least semi functional.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Last edited by focaccio; October 18th, 2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: correction