Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery discharging when turn off.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Battery discharging when turn off.

Hey guys,

This is more of a question that a problem I need fixing really. I have a HP Envy Sleekbook 6 laptop running 12.04 stock. When I turn it off the battery continues to discharge. I know this is definitely the case as I have fully charged my laptop, shut it down for a couple of days then come back to completely flat battery.

I am assuming that this is an issue with the kernel rather than something on the OS as such? Is anyone else having this same issue (I can't find anything else in the forums) and will this be fixed in the Quantal release today?

Thanks guys,

Kev

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Battery discharging when turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by jingaling View Post
    Hey guys,

This is more of a question that a problem I need fixing really. I have a HP Envy Sleekbook 6 laptop running 12.04 stock. When I turn it off the battery continues to discharge. I know this is definitely the case as I have fully charged my laptop, shut it down for a couple of days then come back to completely flat battery.

I am assuming that this is an issue with the kernel rather than something on the OS as such? Is anyone else having this same issue (I can't find anything else in the forums) and will this be fixed in the Quantal release today?

Thanks guys,

Kev
    how long have you had this laptop?

It almost sounds like its just a bad battery.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's brand new - maybe 2 months.

You know, that hadn't crossed my mind - what an idiot! I'll see how it goes with 12.10 in case it is the Kernel pulling out some kind of charge from it. With the known issues with the battery life and Ubuntu I just assumed it would be the kernel.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Beans
    Distro

It's brand new - maybe 2 months.

You know, that hadn't crossed my mind - what an idiot! I'll see how it goes with 12.10 in case it is the Kernel pulling out some kind of charge from it. With the known issues with the battery life and Ubuntu I just assumed it would be the kernel.

Thanks for the quick reply.
    If the laptop is completely off, then the operating system or kernel has nothing to do with the discharge, what i would try is completely charging the battery, then shutting the laptop off and pulling the battery out, then after a while putting it back in and seeing if there is any discharge.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I can't with it being a 'Sleekbook' it's a lithium battery that's inside the chassis.

I'll get on to HP about it.

Beans
    Distro

I can't with it being a 'Sleekbook' it's a lithium battery that's inside the chassis.

I'll get on to HP about it.
    cool beans
    -Niels Bohr

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi jingaling,
    I have a HP ENVY 6 Sleekbook ( 1 month old) and have just noticed the same characteristic. Its fully charged, turn it off, disconnect it form the charger, leave it 2 days and its only ~ 60% charged when I turn it back on without mains charger connected. Will investigate further and re- post if I find anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,
    Confirmed.
    I have a HP ENVY 6 1006sa running Ubuntu 12.10. Fully charged, unplugged Mains adaptor powered down. 48hrs later re-powered charge now only 65% ! 12.10 has a really decent power diagnostics, click on the battery icon:

http://www.divnut.com/HP_ENVY6_1006s...2012-12-08.png

The gradient looks OK, so nothing wrong with the battery. Left a further 48 hrs and the Sleekbook would not start on battery alone.

http://www.divnut.com/Ubuntu/HP_ENVY...2012-12-10.png

I've logged a support request with HP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks Giveingitago,

Let me know how you get on with HP support. I don't really want to send my laptop off again but I will if I have too.

Kev

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I logged a support case with the HP Commercial Support by mistake which was rejected, should have logged with Consumer support. Before I ventured there I thought one last test was in order as I was getting ready to return my Sleekbook to PCworld when I thought can I demonstrate the same fault with Windows 7 ? (e.g. when returning the Sleekbook to its original build). I'm duel booting, so booted into Win 7, fully charged & shut down. 24 hours later rebooted into win 7 the battery discharge was only 4% !! Still more than expected but now significantly less than with Ubuntu shutting down the Sleekbook. Just repeated the same test but booting into Ubuntu and the battery charge status was 96% confirming the Win 7 measurement.

So a work around is following an Ubuntu session is to reboot into Win 7 and then shut down.

I'll log a Bug in Launch Pad.

I'm going to triple boot with other Unbuntu releases and variants to see if its a new problem with latest Ubuntu. I noted that in a Win 7 session the HP power control tools were quite sophisticated. Could be a new type of battery interface issue or an actual battery issue. I've been researching Lithium ion batteries, the expected discharge is 5 to 10 % per month and this is mainly due to the power monitoring circuit in the battery. So even the 4% per day with Win 7 still seems a much larger than expected discharge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast