Thread: Latest version that supports MacBook 3-1 dual-boot OS X 10.5.8

Beans

Latest version that supports MacBook 3-1 dual-boot OS X 10.5.8

Anybody can advise me if I should upgrade to Kubuntu 12.04 LTS or earlier version? I have just installed 10.10 Maverick a few days ago and been quite happy with the performance on my old MacBook. I wonder, though, if it's too old and perhaps incompatible with the currently supported versions of Kubuntu.

Thanks,
    Sumeth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Latest version that supports MacBook 3-1 dual-boot OS X 10.5.8

I have a MacBook 4,1, which seems to be just a bit newer than yours. I am able to run any modern Linux distribution that I want, including Ubuntu 12.04. What I would do if in doubt, create a liveCD of the version you intend to use and start it on the MacBook. This will quickly show you if it runs or where the problems are without doing any damage to the existing installation.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post
    I have a MacBook 4,1, which seems to be just a bit newer than yours. I am able to run any modern Linux distribution that I want, including Ubuntu 12.04. What I would do if in doubt, create a liveCD of the version you intend to use and start it on the MacBook. This will quickly show you if it runs or where the problems are without doing any damage to the existing installation.
    Hi there,

Thanks for your prompt advice, I suppose there's no avoiding that. My current system fails to activate the Broadcom drivers properly (probably through my own fault) and I'm still unable to start wi-fi connection. Do you know if that's the reason a red LED is turned on and can be seen clearly through the earphone receptacle (or should I say socket)?

Thanks again,
    /Sumeth

Beans

Sorry, I have been away for a while; but I am happy to report that I have now successfully installed and run Precise everyday. So thank you all for your advice. It's a great system and platform. Now my Mac run faster than ever before.
    /Sumeth