Thread: I apologize: Help with Macintosh keyboard layout

Beans

I apologize: Help with Macintosh keyboard layout

Hello.

(I apologize for this, as it seems to have been answered in a roundabout way on various message boards across the webs, but I am still experiencing problems with understanding the implementation details.)

I am happily running Ubuntu as a single-boot OS on a MacBook Pro. I have everything setup nicely according to my fancy, however--after ~15 years as a Mac user--I cannot get used to the default keyboard layout of Ubuntu.

Is there a cheatsheet, a talk-to-me-like-I-am-a-5-year-old tutorial, or config file example that will help me get a keyboard layout that I am familiar with (cmd-c, cmd-v, etc.)? Essentially I would love to remap everything possible to that functionality of a typical Macintosh keyboard.

Thank you so much in advance and I sincerely apologize for any repetition. I am so happy with my switch to Ubuntu, and getting over this last hump will have me grazing gleefully in the grasses of this friendlier valley.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: I apologize: Help with Macintosh keyboard layout

none that i am aware of as i am still using a full mac keyboard
    i am also a ex mac user running xubuntu

i hope to be corrected at any time ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MrSteve View Post
    none that i am aware of as i am still using a full mac keyboard
    i am also a ex mac user running xubuntu

i hope to be corrected at any time ...
    Thank you so much for the response!

I found this little item of potential use, but I am having difficulty with the concepts introduced. Perhaps I simply need to calm down and give it a slow go. Although the line "The following improvements are left as an exercise for the reader" has me concerned

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

tried that and it didn't work for me
    maybe because my keyboard is only a couple of years old
    but good luck and post back if you get it working ...

Beans

Will do... I plan on digging into the instructions shortly. (I was hoping this thread would provide me with a way to avoid it... The last technique I attempted to implement truly made a mess of things.)

If I wasn't married to an iMac running OS X which I use most of the time for coding and writing (endeavors of which keyboard shortcuts are of high importance), I would simply try to adjust. Though my muscle memory is not going to allow me to switch gracefully between a Mac keyboard layout and Ubuntu's... It is simply going to make me feel ridiculously resentful of my MacBook Pro/Ubuntu install--something I sincerely hope to avoid.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MrSteve View Post
    ...post back if you get it working ...
    I have carefully gone through a few steps of the aforementioned resource and none of the bits have provided even the smallest semblance of assistance, much less any positive effect whatsoever.

Though my keyboard backlight is acting wonky now, perhaps due to some fiddling with function keys by one of the commands... Hopefully a reinstall of lightum fixes the issue. (I was actually quite happy/amazed by Ubuntu's handling of these 'special' function keys out-of-the-box... That attention to detail is adored.)

I'd stay away from that linked resource (for any future via-search-engine visitors).