Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remmina hangs when I try to connect to 12.04 from 12.04 via VNC

Beans

Re: Remmina hangs when I try to connect to 12.04 from 12.04 via VNC

Well, I impatiently connected my workstation monitor to the server and found that it wasn't starting up all the way. It was stuck on the low graphics mode screen and I couldn't get past it. After some cleaning and updates, though, the server machine is running fine (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    were there any other low-number 590x ports? the default is for it to assign the port based on the X display number as '5900 + display' so 5900 is what you see when you're connecting to the primary display (the usual single-user 'desktop sharing' scenario) but if you are running truly headless with multiple sessions 'your' session may be on (say) display :5 with corresponding port 5905
    Hmmm, interesting. Could you direct me to a more detailed explanation of what you're talking about? I'm not entirely clear what constitutes a "session".

There are no low number 590x ports listed on netstat. However, 5900 is listed twice, as follows:

Code:
    tcp    0.0.0.0    5900    LISTEN
    tcp6   ::         5900    LISTEN
    Would that be causing any trouble?

I tested VNC functionality from a MacBook and everything seems to be working, but I have a feeling I will encounter this again. I'm off to return my workstation monitor and give it a shot from there.

Beans

Whoa - I think I just witnessed the problem. I was monitoring active processes via System Monitor when I got a apport error dialog. The process vino-server then disappeared from the Processes list. Clearly the Vino VNC server is crashing.

So, any suggestions for alternative VNC software?

Beans

Everything is put back together and VNC seems to be working right now. SSH is working via PuTTY, so I guess I'll SSH into the server if vino-server fails again.

I also installed freenx-server on the server machine and hoped to try it on my workstation. So far, though, the NX plug-in for Remmina has yielded nothing. It starts up a window, then gives me the error "Failed to load session "gnome-fallback"" before exiting. Maybe I'll try another NX client. Or maybe I need to forward port 22?

The ideal solution would obviously be to figure out why Vino is crashing and fix it, but I've had no luck on that front.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12