Thread: How do i do this

Beans

Question How do i do this

Hi everyone, how do i change the login logo and change the desktop to something different. The it being on the left side, I like it to be a list not all those icons on the side and i would like to change everything if i can, what software would i use to do this. And I just want to ask a question, is ubuntu open source. thanks for all your help.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How do i do this

Quote Originally Posted by andreamillspaugh View Post
    Hi everyone, how do i change the login logo and change the desktop to something different. The it being on the left side, I like it to be a list not all those icons on the side and i would like to change everything if i can, what software would i use to do this. And I just want to ask a question, is ubuntu open source. thanks for all your help.
    I am assuming here that you have ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10, You can change the
    desktop, or you can install some of the other "buntu" versions that have other
    default desktop environments and see if there is one you prefer.

Lubuntu

Xubuntu

Kubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: How do i do this

For the login logo, it is found in /usr/share/unity-greeter

If you want to change the desktop session, you don't need to install another OS like offgridguy said, you can install them right on top of your current system. There's gnome-shell, gnome-panel, plasma-desktop (KDE), xfce and lxde.