Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Python, Where to start?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Python, Where to start?

Well, if you are used to VB, then Python w/Glade is a bit different... you just have to get used to it I guess. Personally, I think the language advantages of Python outweight any IDE convenience differences. But it's a matter of opinion.

As for your question, it's a bit general, maybe ask something more specific, we'll be glad to help.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

I'm also diving into python.

One thing that tutorials I know miss is a set of ... tasks to perform. You know, a specification of simple programs for a Python student to write.

Of course, I can rewrite my ANSI C university asignments, but it's not the same. Or dust off my java programs and try to rewrite them.
    But I'd prefer to try some programs which will introduce me (and learn to use) Python-specific features and good programming style.

Any ideas ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I suppose i mean (PS i'm not having a whinge here) it straight forward enough to write a script in python, and not to difficult to make a gui in glade, but how do i marry them together?????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Perhaps the simplest way to learn how to 'marry' them together is to see an example, at least that's how I like to learn.

Personally, I learned about Glade&Python when I was messing about with the source for EasyUbuntu. You can download the source and see how things work. This is what is so good about Python, in my opinion - other people's code is actually readable...

If you want a more direct tutorial, there are several on the web (googling for Python and Glade), for example

One
    Two

Good luck, and let us know how things go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12