Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gimp not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Gimp not working

Quote Originally Posted by alfu View Post
    I have 2 problems with Gimp under 12.04.

First, frequently just after saving a image, it folds.

Second, whenever I use a tool, the image editing window becomes deselected, and takes with it the 'show on mouseover' menubar at the top of the screen. To get the menubar back, I have to click in the top of the image editing window.

Previous editions of Gimp did not have this tiresome behavior.
    for you second problem, if you are on 2.8 go to windows>single window mode.

this will make them all one window.

please explain the first problem a little bit, does it minimize?

Pierce

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by NM5TF View Post
    just wondering if you have tried Shotwell that seems to have
    replaced GIMP in 12.04???

are there features lacking in Shotwell that require you to
    use GIMP???

Tommy
    Shotwell replaced F-Spot, not Gimp. Shotwell and F-Spot are image organising programs that can do a little bit of image manipulation. GIMP is and image manipulation program, not an image organising program.
    Michael

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No, pierceTN, I have not tried minimizing Gimp. Another disturbing behavior is that when it launches, the tools window is mostly down in the lower workspace and I have to do 'Super-S' to grab it and haul it up into the working workspace, because my install of Ubuntu has lost its window borders so resizing and moving windows is problematic.

Someone suggested installing Xubuntu as a fix for some of the other issues I am having with Unity (the two mutually exclusive types of directory views that have to be accessed from the nenubar and no ability to supress partitions mounting from an external drive, among others).

I have tried Xubuntu from the live CD I burned, and it looks like it will address all these issues, because the Gimp window positions are correct, and you don't have to go all the way up to the top of the screen to get menu selections.
    Last edited by alfu; December 12th, 2012 at 11:29 PM.
    I just want to run modern apps under Mac O/S 9 on a PC. But I can't. So here I am.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I use Kubuntu (KDE) and don't experience any of the problems you describe in either 2.6 or 2.8.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by NM5TF View Post
    just wondering if you have tried Shotwell that seems to have
    replaced GIMP in 12.04???

are there features lacking in Shotwell that require you to
    use GIMP???

Tommy
    Why do you even bother asking? Shotwell is heavier and lacks much more features than GIMP does.

alfu: try another DE? Maybe that'd work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Calinou View Post
    Shotwell is heavier and lacks much more features than GIMP does.
    Either you haven't really looked at GIMP, or you are comparing apples with pears.

Shotwell is a program for organising your photos that can do a little bit of image manipulation.

Gimp is a very powerful image manipulation program. It can't do any organisation of your photos because it is an image manipulation program and not a program for organising your photos.
    Michael

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Installing Xubuntu 12.04 totally solved the issues I was having with Gimp, but opened a new can of worms: playing flash files (gnash) is now broken. I have tried everything, and Synaptic won't even let me go back to the old swfdec-mozilla, which did work.

Flash-Aid did not seem to do anything (except destroy the browser windows I had open, which I will now have to rebuild from scratch).

Yikes, I just tried it and everything works! Here's what I did: wiped all the flash plug-ins, then did an install of swfdec-gnome. It pulls in 'gnash-common' and 'gnash', but NOT 'mozilla-plugin-gnash' or 'browser-plugin-gnash'.

Update 121216: That was a little premature. Now, some youtube videos play, but everything else is prompting me to install a flash plugin. Still broken. Installing the gnash suite did not help, either.

Update 121216: No Youtube videos or any other flash files work now at all. This on a computer that was showing all flash content before switching over to Xubuntu.

Edit 121217: Googled 'Xubuntu flash problems' and found a link to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HAgUCh5qoM, installing Adobe Flash on Xubuntu 12.04. Amazingly, the video played! Without the tips presented there, I would have come to a dead end on Adobe's site. So far, following these instructions looks like it has enabled Flash content to play. ( I removed all 'gnash' system resources)

121218: The fix seems to be persistent, with youtube feed speeds improved over anything I had seen before here.
    Last edited by alfu; December 18th, 2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: [SOLVED]
    I just want to run modern apps under Mac O/S 9 on a PC. But I can't. So here I am.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12