Thread: VNC on xubuntu 12.04

Beans

VNC on xubuntu 12.04

I previously posted this in the general help forum with no replies, hoping you guys might have an answer.

I'm trying to setup an Xubuntu desktop system that will be headless for testing. I need vnc to simply show me what is on the screen of the workstation, not create a new session and I need it to be able connect to it even if it's not logged in (trying to emulate a multi-user setup for a remote client).

Any help will be much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: VNC on xubuntu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by jwshgeek View Post
    I previously posted this in the general help forum with no replies, hoping you guys might have an answer.

I'm trying to setup an Xubuntu desktop system that will be headless for testing. I need vnc to simply show me what is on the screen of the workstation, not create a new session and I need it to be able connect to it even if it's not logged in (trying to emulate a multi-user setup for a remote client).

Any help will be much appreciated.
    I'm pretty sure Ubuntu comes with Vino pre-installed. Vino is a VNC server.
    In the terminal, type this:
    Code:
    vino-preferences
    You'll have to tick some boxes (see screenshot). I run Linux Mint, but it should be the same. I've tried XRDP, but it creates a new session, Vino uses the current session. However, I'm not sure if it will work with no user logged in...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

vino doesn't work at the login screen, already tried that, and I tried tightvnc, which I can make work at the login screen, but that creates it's own session

Beans

sounds like x11vnc might work for you - iirc that is the default desktop sharing app for xubuntu anyhow

http://mlepicki.com/2011/10/remote-v...-ubuntu-11-10/

you can use -localhost and tunnel over ssh if you want to connect securely (recommended if going outside your private LAN)

Beans

so after installing x11vnc I ran the following,

sudo x11vnc -storepasswd yourpasswordhere /etc/x11vnc.pass
    sudo chmod 744 /etc/x11vnc.pass

then I added the following to /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

greeter-setup-script=/usr/bin/x11vnc -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -noxrecord -noxfixes -noxdamage -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc.pass -forever -bg -rfbport 5900 -o /tmp/x11vnc.log

I've tested it with logouts and reboots and it works fine with one minor flaw of disconnecting the active connection when you log out and having to reconnect once its at the login screen