Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems with internet applications despite having the required packages - 12.04

Beans

Re: Problems with internet applications despite having the required packages - 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    ... ...
    PS: Which model of Nvidia graphics card is there?

As for flash, first, it doesn't have hardware acceleration on Linux, but even if it did, it wouldn't apply to old hardware. Troubleshooting flash sound also seems irrelevant, unless of cause, there are sound problems. Try turning off Transmission, as it can use a lot of bandwidth, and thus interfe with streaming videos.
    PS: To find flash settings, right click inside a flash video window.
    I installed the Lubuntu desktop and switched it on from the login window. It's much better now, nearly no lag at all. General sluggishness solved!

Now the only remaining problem is with flash. I'm using a Geforce 6600 GT graphics card. It's rather old - bought some seven years ago, I think. Flash doesn't work even when Transmission is off. The problem clearly has nothing to do with bandwidth.

Here's how it looks when I try to load a Youtube video:

This is all that happens. As you can see, there's no "loading" type of message at the bottom of the browser screen. However, the computer seems to be doing something all the time when on the page (the memory keeps making its sounds and the system slows down). There seems to be no flash window at all at the blank spot, since no menu appears when right-clicking on it.

Edit:
    To clarify, the package that I have installed is "ubuntu-restricted-extras", since I'm using a 32-bit system. I also tried "flashplugin-installer", but there was no difference.
    Last edited by paranat; October 20th, 2012 at 07:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Problems with internet applications despite having the required packages - 12.04

Odd, I don't know why it does that. This is a new problem (at least, I don't think you've mentioned it before), so you might want to open a new thread, because not many will see the description on page 2.

Beans

Hmmm... that's not a flashblock plugin icon at the top right of your browser window by any chance?

Another thought is you might want to see if there's a specific lubuntu-extras - I seem to remember it making a difference on Xubuntu whether I chose xubuntu-extras or plain ubuntu-extras (I don't remember the details sorry - just a note in the back of my mind)

Beans

I started a separate thread here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12