Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quantal Quetzal, the Unstable One. Too Compelling Schedule?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Quantal Quetzal, the Unstable One. Too Compelling Schedule?

Quote Originally Posted by lucazade View Post
    Kubuntu is really stable.. no crashes here on different machines.

just a note.. Avant Window Navigator is no more developed so it is just a miracle that still works in QQ, even if erratically.

As I commented back .. it works on the older nVidia cards excellently and there is a way to build a Unity like desktop. Kubuntu uses the nouveau driver correctly whereas Ubuntu seems to have some problems wrapping it.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Distro

Some of the issues you mention are not the responsibility of Ubuntu developers. Are they?

So, Myunity is not available for 12.10. How is that the fault of Ubuntu developers?

I was able to use the Precise development branch as a stable working platform almost from the beginning of the development cycle. At first I had the same experience with the Quantal development branch but then things went wrong and stayed broken for several weeks and I had to go back to using 12.04.

The issues affected both of my 12.10 installs and even prevented re-installation. I have not tested an ISO image since then.

As far as I could work out it was due to a combination of Xserver, proprietary video driver and open source video driver as well as Compiz all messing things up.

To give an example, a Nvidia driver that already had bug reports against it by early adopters was pushed into the update channel and that broke my working install using Nvidia. That should not have happened.

But hey! It is the development branch. We should expect stuff like that. And that is the problem. People are expecting to install beta versions without hitting problems.

Check other sections of this forum. People are posting that they have upgraded to 12.10 and now the OS is broken in some way or the other. Why upgrade before the release date unless it is to test?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

@ventrical

Hi!

RR is about to begin. Toolchain uploaded October 25th.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RReleaseSchedule

Time to have fun!
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mmasroorali View Post
    Am I being vague here? Let us try to be specific.
    1. Many applications are often crashing.
    Not trying to be a jerk here, but that really isn't very specific at all. Which applications? Particularly if they are third-party applications, this may have little to do with QQ itself.

LibreOffice has its own set of problems (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2071354).
    I'm with you on this one. I posted in the linked thread, so you can see that some of the bugs are known and being worked on, though not fixed yet (AFAICT). You might add yourself to this bug, for example: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...e/+bug/1059389

Much touted myunity is not still there.
    As someone else pointed out, this is a third-party application that is not in the repositories, so this is not an issue with QQ -- especially given that QQ has not been released yet!

Looks like the Amazon laumcher is more important to me than the useful applications. No, I do not have anything against Amazon.
    I don't understand this problem.

Overall, I am facing some unstable situations.
    That's as vague (or more vague than) your #1. Is this really an additional, discrete problem, or are you just summarizing the ones you've already mentioned? Let's not double-count.

Is it really that necessary to release a new version every six months only for the sake of release?

I think that it now time to stop and ponder.
    From what I can tell, the problems that are actually QQ problems come down to issues with LibreOffice (and, possibly, some other applications crashing, though I don't know which other applications, so this may or may not be a problem with QQ itself). This is bad, though not exceedingly awful, as far as I can tell based on the information that's been given so far. Can you provide more?
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Beans

I think there is nothing wrong with the schedule and Ubuntu probably has one of the best schedules comparing to other popular Linux distributions because i like to have fixed date and product delivered on that date. It's professional. When we start talking in terms "when it's done" this usually doesn't end up as i would imagine it would end up! I don't have to use LTS releases if i don't want to use it because releases between LTS releases are stable from my experience.

Usually problems are hardware related and i can't imagine all hardware problems on Linux desktop could be solved if Ubuntu would change it's schedule. Buy hardware that has good support for Linux that is all i can say and your Ubuntu experience will improve.

Software bugs i guess the same story as hardware issues i don't believe changing Ubuntu schedule would fix all software bugs. Usually user are complaining some feature is missing like with Unity when was first introduced and changing schedule would not help because Unity is constantly evolving and i guess it will continue to do this in the future.
    Last edited by EgoGratis; October 16th, 2012 at 02:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    @ventrical

Hi!

RR is about to begin. Toolchain uploaded October 25th.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RReleaseSchedule

Time to have fun!
    Do not remind me of that! Already struggling not to start biting my nails while waiting on 3.7-rc1...

Beans
    Distro

My opinion, as a tester going back to Dapper Drake, schedule is fine.

Far too much "stuff" is trying to be crammed in at the last minute particularly Beta 2 quite buggy.

Refine the "stuff" and put it into RR Alpha.

Beans

Maybe you should wait until Quantal is released and do a fresh install
    before labeling it as unstable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    Maybe you should wait until Quantal is released and do a fresh install
    before labeling it as unstable.
    I think You have a very good point...
    A lot of stuff has been happening during testing...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Please don't recommend a development version to friends, I would even go so far as to say, install the LTS version for them, as many of the problems have been fixed by the first point release.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast