Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do the M and m symbols mean in this piece of music?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

What do the M and m symbols mean in this piece of music?

Hey I'm just getting into playing the piano. Yes I'm a beginner but its really fun. I'm enjoying learning a bunch a different scales and putting them together.

I'm not so good at reading music, but I'm improving. I ran into this piece of music on the internet which wasn't overly hard for my level, however I can't figure out what the M and m mean. I guessing it has something to do with playing an octave higher or lower, or possibly with the pedal? I've looked around the internet, but can't find squat. I'd appreciate any insight someone may have here. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: What do the M and m symbols mean in this piece of music?

Beans
    Distro

Ok Major and Minor -- what's the point of putting them on the sheet? Like the chord notation of the Eb major and Fm on the top wouldn't suffice? I'm just asking.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Sorry kev, didn't look at the picture. Been awhile since piano. Nightwishfan would have known.
    Does that piece come in Guitar tablature

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would guess that sheet music like that is written for more than one instrument. So, it has useful information for more than one type of musician.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    I ran into this piece of music on the internet which wasn't overly hard for my level, however I can't figure out what the M and m mean.
    I think M = mute, not sure what the lower case m is. Printed material should have the notations defined somewhere. As far as I know there's no standard definitions for these things.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There are a few oddities with that piece of sheet music. Could this be written for more than one instrument somehow? I notice that in the bass cleff there are eight note rests above some of the notes. Note sure how you could be playing a note and resting at the same time, unless they're intending two instruments to be playing the bass cleff part.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've never seen this before. It's definitely not a common 'classical' musical notation.

The major/minor meaning might be correct if you trace the same correlation throughout the piece—but that's a baffling thought, for why would one write 'M/m's whenever the harmony changes? Surely the notes themselves already tell you if it's a major or minor chord...
    The early bird gets the worm. . . But the second mouse gets the cheese, and the early worm gets eaten.
    Unwarranted Self Promotion

Beans
    Hidden!

I was a bit baffled when I first saw it, and offer a +1 to the idea of information being present for more than one musician.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro

I could post the entire pdf file, since these notations are scattered throughout the piece. I'm very confused as well. Thanks for everyone's insights. The people I asked around here where I live were not so clear either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast