Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do the M and m symbols mean in this piece of music?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: What do the M and m symbols mean in this piece of music?

Hi

I can confirm that M and m definitely mean Major and minor but I don't think it's for more than one musician as this is a piano part which would normally be read by one person at a time. I believe it has to do with the chord changing from an open octave like in the first bar in the image where you have posted. a major chord requires the first note in the scale, the third and normally the fifth so Eb M is Eb G and Bb, if all you have is 2 Ebs an octave apart than the chord is neither major or minor until you add a G making it major or a Gb making it minor so when notes that define the chord are added the M or m is written.

Hope that helps/makes sense!

Barry
    Desktop: Z77X-UD5H, Intel i7 3770k, NVidia GeForce 660 Ti Sli 16GB DDR3 RAM 2TB HDD
    OSes: Mint 14 x64 Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430
    OSes: Ubuntu 13.04 x64, Backtrack 5 R3

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: What do the M and m symbols mean in this piece of music?

Quote Originally Posted by PowerBarry43 View Post
    Hi

I can confirm that M and m definitely mean Major and minor but I don't think it's for more than one musician as this is a piano part which would normally be read by one person at a time. I believe it has to do with the chord changing from an open octave like in the first bar in the image where you have posted. a major chord requires the first note in the scale, the third and normally the fifth so Eb M is Eb G and Bb, if all you have is 2 Ebs an octave apart than the chord is neither major or minor until you add a G making it major or a Gb making it minor so when notes that define the chord are added the M or m is written.

Hope that helps/makes sense!

Barry
    It makes sense, but why wouldn't they just represent the major or minor chords with the notes? The only thing I can think is that the M and m with the base note might make it easier for a guitar player.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12