Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corrupt Ubuntu

Beans

Question Corrupt Ubuntu

Hey people,

I just installed my Ubuntu 64-bit and it runs fine. I have one question concerning the relieablity of my machine. When I burned the .iso on a CD I noticed that it was completely filled up, even though it's a 700MB disk and the .iso file was only 694MB. I later on realized that .iso files are compressed and that the acutal burned files may be larger. I installed it anyway thinking that things should work out and till now everything does.

My question: are there any things I should do or take care of concerning the possibility of missing files etc? The only real problem I experienced was that when I want to log in some white pixels show up at first in the background, but they disappear in an instance.

Thanks in advance!

Beans

Re: Corrupt Ubuntu

Did you verify the disc before install?

It really doesn't matter anyway, I'd guess around 99.99% of ISOs are completely fine. About the white dots, it could be related to a number of other things.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JoshDempsey View Post
    Did you verify the disc before install?

It really doesn't matter anyway, I'd guess around 99.99% of ISOs are completely fine. About the white dots, it could be related to a number of other things.
    If you mean checking with to verify, yes, I check the contents of the disk and everything seemed good. I also checked the MD5 checksum, which wasn't the same as the one I downloaded from releases.ubuntu.com , so I'm kind of scared.

I also noticed that only 136 updates could be installed, and not the 140 updates I had with my previous 32-bit Ubuntu. Could this be caused by missing files?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Remcotjuuh View Post
    If you mean checking with to verify, yes, I check the contents of the disk and everything seemed good. I also checked the MD5 checksum, which wasn't the same as the one I downloaded from releases.ubuntu.com , so I'm kind of scared.

I also noticed that only 136 updates could be installed, and not the 140 updates I had with my previous 32-bit Ubuntu. Could this be caused by missing files?
    If the MD5sum is different, that's bad. That said, if you've got a working install, that's great.

Probably not. Missing files is probably more likely to cause things like non-working boot sequence and programs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

ISO files aren't compressed. However, when you write an ISO file to a CD it closes the session on the CD meaning that nothing else can be written to the disk, this is why you will see 0MB free on your CD.

Also if these are the white dots you are talking about then they're meant to be there, it's part of the design of the logon screen.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    ISO files aren't compressed. However, when you write an ISO file to a CD it closes the session on the CD meaning that nothing else can be written to the disk, this is why you will see 0MB free on your CD.

Also if these are the white dots you are talking about then they're meant to be there, it's part of the design of the logon screen.
    Nope, the dots are larger and more randomly spreaded. If you tell how to make a screenshot on Ubuntu I can show it to you, if it's made in time, since they disappear after a few seconds anyway.

Beans
    Distro

Press the Print Screen button on your keyboard.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    If the MD5sum is different, that's bad. That said, if you've got a working install, that's great.

Probably not. Missing files is probably more likely to cause things like non-working boot sequence and programs.
    Hmm, maybe I didn't check it well. It runs well now, exept for the wierd pixels as described.

Beans

I printscreened it, but know I don't know how to get it into my dropbox. I feel such a noob right now ^^. I can say that the pixels don't disappear in few seconds, but after moving my crusor around.

Beans
    Distro

It should just save the screenshot into your ~/Pictures directory.
    Cheesemill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast