Thread: Dropping to tty on boot, can't login, fsck doesn't seem to help

Beans

Dropping to tty on boot, can't login, fsck doesn't seem to help

Hello,

I just had a power outage for a few seconds and my ubuntu desktop doesn't want to boot anymore, can't mount all the partitions so I'm guessing a problem on one of the disks. I tried to get into the grub menu and tried to get it boot like that, choosing resume as an option, after which a fsck operation started that found some errors and allegedly corrected them, after which it rebooted again.

Upon the next reboot, though, I didn't get to the ubuntu log in screen but dropped into tty, asking me to provide user and password. Everytime I try to log in, I get the message that my password or user isn't correct, which is weird. I cannot seem to get into the grub menu anymore, either, not by holding shift or so. I decided to try the live cd and run fsck like that, but that didn't report any errors anymore, and I still get the same issue, dropping into tty, not being able to log in.

Anybody an idea? Ubuntu 12.04 by the way.

Kasper

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Dropping to tty on boot, can't login, fsck doesn't seem to help

Do you have the correct keyboard layout in the tty? Could explain why it is reporting the wrong password (given that the password you enter is indeed the right one).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Boot into recovery mode and create a new user. Then reboot and try logging in as the user you just created. You could also check to make sure that your user didn't become locked somehow.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans

Yes, I thought about the keyboard layout and such as well. That doesn't seem to be it. I also tried typing the password in the user field for that reason. I'm currently typing this post on an ubuntu laptop, on which I have the same user/password combo and I can reproduce the problem here, type ctrl alt f1, try to log in and I get a login failure. But that's not the real issue I think, the problem is still that for one reason or another I can't get in the graphical shell.

On that tty screen, when I press alt F7 to go back to the graphical shell, I get a complaint about a mount failed. The strange thing is that it's the nfs mount of my nas it complains about, hardly something I would think necessary to boot into X. I could maybe try to remove the mount statement of the nas from fstab through the live cd, but it feels like a sidetrack...

Kasper