Thread: LibreOffice Problem in Quantal Quetzal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

LibreOffice Problem in Quantal Quetzal

I was hoping that the problem will be solved any day. However, with only three days left before the final release, I thought that I must report the problem.

In Quantal Quetzal I have observed the following problems with LibreOffice,
    1. Let us say I have already opened a file. When a second file in opened, and the cursor is moved to top, the top menu (File, Edit, View, Insert...) does not (often) appear in the second one. It appears, sometimes, when I wait for a few minutes. And sometimes, when the first file is closed.
    2. When the submenu (e.g. Format->Cells) is selected, the subsequent window does not appear.
    3. LibreOffice often crashes.
    4. When File->Close is selected, the file does not close. The cross button works however.

These problems occur at random.

These problems are unique to LibreOffice.

I am using Ubuntu 12.10 (QQ) in my office machine. Updates are run daily.

I use 12.04 (PP) in my home machine and the above problems are not there.
    Last edited by mmasroorali; October 15th, 2012 at 01:04 PM.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: LibreOffice Problem in Quantal Quetzal

some questions:
    - 32 or 64 bits install ?
    - which DE : unity, GS, GC ?

here i have no issue with i386 on GC

Beans
    Distro

I am having similar issues. I am using Unity.

I think the problem is with Writer. I just opened Libreoffice this is what happened.

1) Opened Writer. Used File>Recent documents to open a document. OK.

2) Tried to use File>Recent Document to open a second document - All the menu labels would highlight as the mouse moved over them but the menus did not appear. This did not happen with the app-indicatior menus on the right.

3) Opening and closing Writer did not rectify the problem. So, was unable to open any documents using Writer.

4) Open Calc and was able to use File>Recent documents to open Writer documents.

I use Insert>Special characters a lot. On Saturday the special character utility stopped working in one of the two documents I had opened but was still working in the other opened Writer document. I had to close Writer to correct this problem but it happened again.

I have also noticed that after opening a Writer document the Copy icon does not activate until a few tenths of a second have passed. Then it continues working as it should.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    some questions:

32, Unity

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I am having similar issues. I am using Unity.

I think the problem is with Writer. I just opened Libreoffice this is what happened.

1) Opened Writer. Used File>Recent documents to open a document. OK.

2) Tried to use File>Recent Document to open a second document - All the menu labels would highlight as the mouse moved over them but the menus did not appear. This did not happen with the app-indicatior menus on the right.

3) Opening and closing Writer did not rectify the problem. So, was unable to open any documents using Writer.

4) Open Calc and was able to use File>Recent documents to open Writer documents.

I use Insert>Special characters a lot. On Saturday the special character utility stopped working in one of the two documents I had opened but was still working in the other opened Writer document. I had to close Writer to correct this problem but it happened again.

I have also noticed that after opening a Writer document the Copy icon does not activate until a few tenths of a second have passed. Then it continues working as it should.

Regards.
    I was trying to find a link between Calc and Writer usage at the same time. But can not exactly pin down the relation.

All my LO invocations start with Calc. This is the one I use the most.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mmasroorali View Post
    I was hoping that the problem will be solved any day. However, with only three days left before the final release, I thought that I must report the problem.
    Thanks. You should probably also do this on official bug report channels, e.g.: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice

Some of the things you mentioned (your #1, for example) have been reported as bugs there already, I think.
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Beans

Possibly this bug? It's a known issue, but is likely to be SRU'd at this point.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1062068

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by guitara View Post
    Possibly this bug? It's a known issue, but is likely to be SRU'd at this point.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1062068
    ?
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    some questions:

Latest RC updated on both 32 on my tower and 64 on my notebook the "File Edit View ...." are very flaky. In particular, select an odt file to open LibreOffice Writer automatically has no "File Edit View ...". Stumbled on a partial fix, do Alt-Tab to switch to other windows and back again, sometimes the "File ... etc" do appear on mouse over. Launchpad bug #1067143

Beans

Same there.
    Unity, 64 bit.
    Even more - LibreOffice often is crashing my desktop completely. Dark screen and no reaction to anything only to hard/soft restarting is helping.