Thread: types of mobile markets.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

types of mobile markets.

I was thinking about this subject last night. What do you mostly use your smartphone for? I ask this question because I have noticed you see these types of markets for smart phones.

Gaming - this being a growing trend. I know a lot of guys in my unit use theirs for gaming .

Social update- very common for the average user.

RSS and news feeds- I consider my self one for this type of market. I always try and stay up to date on Ubuntu and Linux gaming news.

Leisure or media player - songs, movies and TV shows . The phone is you're media player.

Integration - this is a another category I want to consider myself apart of and also have seen a lot in what people want in the IOS platform. Right now everything in my house runs Ubuntu except for 3 items my TV, smartphone and tablet. Now say Ubuntu, comes out with those 3 items . Easy sync or integration between is so key. Wow sorry got off topic. Is there any other types of markets I am missing?
    Motherboard: MSI 890GXM-G65
    Videocard: Radeon HD5850 1GB
    Ram: 2x 4GB DDR3-1333 Single
    Processor: AMD Phenom II x6 1055T Tray

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: types of mobile markets.

Anybody running a business from their phone ?
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How about the non-smartphone market? What do I need one for? All I want from a phone is the ability to send texts, make calls, and simple everyday use utilities like a calandar, calculator, notepad, alarm etc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    Anybody running a business from their phone ?
    Yes and no. Sorta do a billion and one things, a lot on Etsy and Folksy. About 80% of what I do I do on a mobile (a lot of marketing, Twitter, Pintrest etc). Its a lot easier in a quick fire generation to spread yourself about with various mobile apps. Theres 2 things I use a PC for, Weebly website (which if I switched too Wordpress, that would be mobile), and forums (not all work on Tapatalk). Photos are a struggle getting on and off net and cropping them etc, but I am not selling photographs yet.

I do now have a 7 inch tablet however, not a great one, chinese naffy thing. Certainly allows me to to use office apps more easily (Kingsoft etc). It has a USB host so can take keyboard and mouse, and take pictures off my camera. To be honest, if I could get Ubuntu on the tablet, my desktop PC's sole use would be Second Life.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

i'm use my smartphone to complete some business when i can't use a desktop or laptop.
    also i use it to read some books, listen to musics

some times i use it to play some games

Beans

I am newbie here, I used my smartphone for my business and used like Email checking and chat from smartphone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I use mine primarily for news, web surfing, and (don't forget) phone calls and SMS. Oh, and navigation.

I do sometimes use mine for video and music, but I also have a Sony Walkman that's really good for music. Not so good for video, but I'd rather deplete the Walkman's battery than the phone's battery.

Mobile phone games are pretty pathetic. I don't care if they only cost $1.99, my phone has limited storage space that I could easily use for useful stuff. I have a 3DS I use for games, and it's a much better experience playing games on a 3DS with physical controls than trying to mess around with touchscreen or accelerometer controls.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    How about the non-smartphone market? What do I need one for? All I want from a phone is the ability to send texts, make calls, and simple everyday use utilities like a calandar, calculator, notepad, alarm etc.
    ^^^ This.

Google maps might have been useful when I was out of town the other week, but the driver & navigator preferred to use their memories.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog