I'm using Ubuntu 13.04 on Dell Precision 6500 Notebook with ATI FirePro M7740 graphic card.
The actual driver, [AMD] nee ATI RV740/M97 GL [FirePro M7740], is working well even though it is NOT sufficient to run decent games.
By decent, I mean even aging games demanding some 3D effect.
I searched on this forum as well as on the internet to find out the proprieatry (fglrx) Catalyst driver which would work fine for my graphic card. On:
- AMD/ATI's official site (support.amd.com/en-us/download), when I choose Notebook Graphics, Mobility FirePro Series, Dell Precision M6500 (FirePro M7740 Mobility), only Windows System drivers are shown
- This forum, there is a post dated 24/12/2009 without any answer about the proprietary working drivers
- The internet (Google), it's written on some forums that the old Catalyst Drivers should work (e.g. fglrx v8.91.4 or firepro_8.982.2_linux_x32x64_143295), however:
- it's also written that these driver have, general installation/compatibility problems and they are buggy (do you have any experience?)
- there is no written/posted evidence that these drivers support FirePro M7740 (does any of use use M7740 with fglrx?)
As an unlucky guy who bought a laptop without knowing that ADM/ATI drivers were problematic to be installed (especially for old graphic cards), I'd like to know if one of you, as a ubuntu warrior/expert, would be able to help me please (I know; it'd be better to search in advance before buying it)?
PS: I also installed Windows for this graphic card performance issue... I finally posted this message because whenever I searched for an answer, I found contradictory posts but no clear answer. If resolved, this thread will absolutely help to other Ubuntu users (on M6500 laptops) as well.