Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem mounting internal drive from fstab

Beans

Re: Problem mounting internal drive from fstab

No. op said "it works with no problem in 12.04"

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    The problem was the space character in the HD name.

Linux treats spaces as the delimiter for either arguments or switches to follow. Therefore, it parses your HD name as: Mount a HD named "Backup" and apply a process to it called "Drive". Since there is no such process as "Drive", your mount process gives up and generates an error. You attempted to fool your system with the \040 escape sequence. But this works if only one process is involved. However, if it is necessary for the first process to pass the name string on to a second process, the first process will have already converted the \040 sequence to a space character and the second process will choke for the reason outlined above.

In short, don't ever use spaces in anything having to do with Linux. If you want readability, get into the habit of substituting the underscore character "_" for a space character. It will save you loads of trouble in future.

Beans

Thanks for the explanation DuckHook. However, IMO it is a long time since Linux didn't like spaces. This looks like a bug to me:

- it used to work in 12.04
    - the use of \040 in fstab is widely recommended (though I can't find what I consider an authorative source)
    - I have external USB drives that are automatically mounted by the system in /media/<user>/ using the drive label with a space in the name and this continues to work fine in 12.10

I will see if I can find any bug reports.

Also, ther seems to be another bug in that it stops the x console being displayed (I've realised that I actually have to press Ctrl-Alt-F1 before Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get the display).

Beans

try this
    UUID=de6514b0-b7a9-49ca-a7ab-c19be1431636 /media/Backup\040Drive ext4 errors=remount 0 2

I think the reason might be the upstart script /etc/init/mountall-shell.conf runs with errors.

Beans

funicorn - errors=remount makes no difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12