Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: New to Ubuntu

Welcome to the Family Boomz..

A way of learning Linux is first of make sure you got lots of time and you don't have to hurry like finishing a project by a time schedule. Now what ever the function you want to do just try if you can't figure it out do a search on Google for what ever the function and include Ubuntu to the search terms. 99% of the time you come back here to the forum with the answers. Also you might want to get familiar with terminal.

Bash Commands.
    http://ss64.com/bash/
    Michael Nelson -=- AKA: Mopar1973Man

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi

Welcome to ubuntu!

If you want to learn about ubuntu I would just think about what you want to get out of ubuntu, spool through the forums and read anything that catches your eye. I would also use the terminal as much as you can to gain a good understanding of what you're doing and when you find a tutorial on installing a program or whatever, don't copy and paste, type the command out and try and hazrd a guess at what it's going to do. if you really want to know about a command type man then the command for a manual help page. when i first started using linux I found it really handy to keep this picture as my wallpaper too

http://www.neowin.net/forum/uploads/...4518659446.jpg

Hope this helps!

Barry
    Last edited by PowerBarry43; October 17th, 2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: image was massive!
    Desktop: Z77X-UD5H, Intel i7 3770k, NVidia GeForce 660 Ti Sli 16GB DDR3 RAM 2TB HDD
    OSes: Mint 14 x64 Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430
    OSes: Ubuntu 13.04 x64, Backtrack 5 R3

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

One of the best sites as a general introduction for new users to Ubuntu is:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index

Beans
    Hidden!

Hello Boomz; Out of curiosity ,are you using your computer for specialty applications or more for basic computing, ie; email, web browsing, online shopping , etc.?

Beans

Hey Boomz,

Welcome to Ubuntu! I've been using personal computers both personally and professionally since 1982. For the last 8 or 9 years I've used various Linux distributions and today I'm about 99% Ubuntu. Google has been my best friend along this path of discovery. As suggested above use Ubuntu and or Linux as part of your search. Sometimes it's helpful to include the version number (eg 12.04) or the release name (eg "precise") in your searches. Good luck in your quest for freedom and I hope you enjoy your journey. I encourage you to search for you answers first but never hesitate to ask here if you're stumped.

Dan

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post
    Welcome to the Family Boomz..

A way of learning Linux is first of make sure you got lots of time and you don't have to hurry like finishing a project by a time schedule. Now what ever the function you want to do just try if you can't figure it out do a search on Google for what ever the function and include Ubuntu to the search terms. 99% of the time you come back here to the forum with the answers. Also you might want to get familiar with terminal.

Bash Commands.
    http://ss64.com/bash/
    Thank you for the response sir! I really find the terminal a quick way in accessing files and doing processes on it. Gonna a lot a time on learning the terminal.
    Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by PowerBarry43 View Post
    Hi

Welcome to ubuntu!

If you want to learn about ubuntu I would just think about what you want to get out of ubuntu, spool through the forums and read anything that catches your eye. I would also use the terminal as much as you can to gain a good understanding of what you're doing and when you find a tutorial on installing a program or whatever, don't copy and paste, type the command out and try and hazrd a guess at what it's going to do. if you really want to know about a command type man then the command for a manual help page. when i first started using linux I found it really handy to keep this picture as my wallpaper too

http://www.neowin.net/forum/uploads/...4518659446.jpg

Hope this helps!

Barry
    I tried typing the codes instead of copy-pasting. Its a lot better than click here and click there, it does a lot more quicker time to do. Thanks for the link too, that's a cool wallpaper to replace the default one.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    One of the best sites as a general introduction for new users to Ubuntu is:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index
    Yes, i tried that site already. It helped me set up my Ubuntu into a stable stage. Thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    Hello Boomz; Out of curiosity ,are you using your computer for specialty applications or more for basic computing, ie; email, web browsing, online shopping , etc.?
    I design layouts at times and do more with the basic computing you said. Actually I have my laptop on dual-boot because I badly need Windows for my Photoshop and other Adobe applications. I can't find any article saying that Adobe applications are compatible with Linux. Just sad.

Beans

I design layouts at times and do more with the basic computing you said. Actually I have my laptop on dual-boot because I badly need Windows for my Photoshop and other Adobe applications. I can't find any article saying that Adobe applications are compatible with Linux. Just sad.
    If you use Photoshop, you should take a look at The Gimp
    Last edited by Kufa61; October 18th, 2012 at 02:27 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I know what you mean

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by boomz View Post
    Good day people. Im just new to the OS Linux, with no background around it. I was scanning all over the beginner's forum but I found out it has a very broad range. I was wondering if there would be someone who could help start my learning about Ubuntu. Thank you so much!
    Most basic tip for unity: Start button opens the "dash" and functions like the start menu

Beans

im also new here in ubuntu forums i need your warm welcome kekeke but by the way, I found a great way to find all AA meetings US at sober.com through this link: http://sober.com/aa-alcoholic-anonymous-meetings.html, just in case any of you, tech savvy guys need it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12