Thread: which method of forwarding?-10.04 server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

which method of forwarding?-10.04 server

Ok so server will pass mostly wired LAN clients through eth1 to eth0 and adsl modem router. internet--adsl modem/router--eth0--server--eth1--switch--LAN. I realize now there are several ways to do this. It occured to me that ultimately everything has to work together, so plan to use: ufw for firewall, samba for windows file server, dhcp3 to serve LAN. I'd like to choose between setting up forwarding in: iptables, ufw, dnsmasq, bind9,sysctl.conf, and net-manager(?). I've started down a path several times only to discover that a later installed package or service creates a conflict, so this time I want it clean and simple.
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet static
    address 10.10.0.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.1

I have started dhcp3 with a range of 10.10.0.10 10.10.0.150
    testclient is getting ip 10.10.0.10 but won't ping past 127.0.0.1
    i did make an attempt at forwarding, but i was tired last night and may have made some entries with both the iptables approach and the sysctl.conf , so I'm at a juncture where i could format (again) and start over, or clean it up. Just want some guidance here so I don't waste more time.
    Last edited by hawaiiman; October 14th, 2012 at 08:31 AM. Reason: left out a zero, keyboard can't spell