Thread: problems loading social network

Beans

Question problems loading social network

hello to everyone, I am new to Ubuntu and I'm trying to learn how everything works here...

I ran into a problem and I cannot solve it... I have search without success.

My problem is that when I want to open vkontake (a popular social network site in Russia and the CIS countries) a message appears saying "Oops! Google Chrome could not find vk.com" or "Server not found, Firefox can't find the server at www.vk.com. It does not matter what explorer I use. I know the site works because if I change to windows the page opens with out any problem.

I really need help, I am trying to completely move to ubuntu but vk.com is necessary for my social life

tahnks for the help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: problems loading social network

Weird.
    Opens here.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: problems loading social network

Try to narrow the problem down a little bit.

What kind of internet connection are you using? Have you confirmed that it works for other things in Ubuntu?

By default, both Windows and Ubuntu should use the DNS server provided by your ISP, but just to rule that out, try connecting directly to the IP address
    Code:
    ping -c 1 87.240.131.119
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

Wink Re: problems loading social network

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    Try to narrow the problem down a little bit.

What kind of internet connection are you using? Have you confirmed that it works for other things in Ubuntu?

By default, both Windows and Ubuntu should use the DNS server provided by your ISP, but just to rule that out, try connecting directly to the IP address
    Code:
    ping -c 1 87.240.131.119
    I tried with the IP address and it did't work. Then I changed the DNS server and it worked like a charm...

Thanks!!