Thread: Cannot send mail from thunderbird

Beans

Cannot send mail from thunderbird

I have a new install of Ubuntu and Thunderbird

The email accounts have been set up exactly the same as on another computer where I can send mail. No mail will send.

I have deleted the profile files from the new install and copied the profile files from the other computer. Still no mail will send.

I can download mail, no problem there.

Any idea what's up?

Greg

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Cannot send mail from thunderbird

What version of TB? What mail service? Any error messages when you try to send mail? Do any other mail clients on the machine send messages with the same configuration?
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans

No disrespect to all the Unbuntu/Thunderbird enthusiasts, but when a product is not a commercial item the producer has less obligation to fix any fault, well not in the usual commercial way. And the user has less expectation to get a fix. You could say a fix is dependant on the users persistent, and the quality of the advice they get. I am sure the advice I get is very good, problem is I don't have the time to keep looking for a fix.

Earlier today I managed to get 3 of my 4 email accounts to send/receive, the other just would not send. All the accounts use exactly the same protocols and passwords, other that the pop and smpt address everything is the same.

Anyway, I have uninstalled Thunderbird and installed Evolution. I can now send/receive email on all my accounts. I think I prefer the user interface of Thunderbird so I may be back.

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions

Regards

Greg

Beans

Well that did not take long.

Cannot be more than a few days of using Evolution before I decided I prefer Thunderbird enough to give it another go.

I have reinstalled Thunderbird, entered all my email accounts just as before, and now ALL my accounts work first time.

Why does software test us like this, I cannot see any reason why one installation should be any different to another