Thread: uploading files to LAMP on UBUNTU Desktop

Hybrid View

Beans

uploading files to LAMP on UBUNTU Desktop

My apologies if this would best belong somewhere else but I decided to dive in.

I have an older computer that I thought that I would try to put to work as a developmental server. I have no experience with LINUX but had the notion that I would get my feet wet by downloading and installing UBUNTU 12.04 (Desktop) on it. That worked flawlessly. I then installed LAMP with a few hurdles of my own making, but eventually got it working and parked a few PHP files in the var/www directory and was able to access them there. I hardwired the machine to my Linksys Wireless router and can view the files from other Windows machines on the network.

My next objective was to attempt to sort out how I would be able to upload files to the Apache server on UBUNTU using something like Filezilla or preferably directly from Dreamweaver on a Windows 7 laptop.

I was optimistic when I saw the line “Connection established, waiting for welcome message...’ in the Filezilla log, but I have hit a dead end.

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
    Error: Connection timed out
    Error: Could not connect to server

I have tried the sudo user name as well as “root” for a user name.

I installed webmin thinking that this might bring me closer to discovering the solution. I am clearly out of my league here. Does anyone have any advice for me as to what I need to install or how I need to configure what I have to achieve the desired results?

Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: uploading files to LAMP on UBUNTU Desktop

Why 80? That indicates that you're trying to connect to apache.

Do you have a FTP server (daemon) running? You use a ftp client to connect to a ftp server (daemon), not to a web server (daemon).

If you haven't done so, install e.g. vsftpd
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans

Thanks for the quick response. I confess that I am completely clueless when it comes to this stuff. But you have to start somewhere. I came to the erroneous conclusion that I would want to connect to Apache.

I will install vsftpd

What port should I be using then?

Beans

Thanks again. Somewhere I read that it is Port 21 and it worked. Now it is a matter of learning how to edit some files, change permissions, etc. so that I can upload files and create directories.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Great, please mark your thread as solved using the thread tools just above the first post on this page.

I never use /var/www; my web directories are in the user's home directory. This is an approach from long ago where I did not want to fight with permissions. Just a matter of changing the 'document root' in the apache configuration Only disadvantage is that apache can't write there but not everybody has a need for that and it can be solved by having a dedicated subdirectory where apache can write.
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans

I appreciate your comment about fighting with permissions.

I bumbled around for a couple of hours last evening trying to get it set up so that I could create a directory and upload files to var/www. No success yet. Downloading files behaves.

I changed the vsftpd.conf file to allow creating directories but no combination of permissions that I tried would yield the results. It was set up for anonymous and I even tired changing that with no luck. And in my case it amounts to luck as I clearly don’t know what I’m doing. I have changed so many settings now that I will probably uninstall the whole thing to get back to equilibrium and start over.

I decided to walk away from it for a while and perhaps I will get an inspiration.

I would be the exclusive user of this developmental server and it is living on my home wireless router so I am thinking that security is not a major concern here.

Thanks again.