Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Desktop

Beans

Re: No Desktop

I have reinstalled and everything appeared to be ok apart from the problems mentioned in my last reply.
    I then updated and ended up back to square one with no desktop bars or icons. Unfortunately I did not observe which updates were applied, update just said there were 135 to install. I presume at least one of them was graphics related and I presume there is a log somewhere of what was updated.
    When I was able to access the additional drivers there was a beta driver from nvidia which I tried activating but nothing useful happened.
    Is there any further information I could provide which would assist anyone in finding a workeable solution to this problem.
    It is very frustrating because all previous incarnations of ubuntu have worked 'straight out of the box' as it were but 12.04 seems to be a whole different ball game.

Regards,

TimB48

Beans

Still looking for an answer for this problem, looks like my posts have not been viewed for several days.
    Anyone out there who can help?

TimB48

Beans

for the code : STARTX
    gave me the following :
    X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
    xinit: giving up
    xinit: unable to connect to X server: connection refused
    xinit: server error

still can't return my desktop as it was; what i have is the wallpaper aznd thank GOD that managed to firefox via TERMINAL to look up for some solutions. anyone?
    Last edited by phoenix90005; March 26th, 2013 at 08:00 PM.

Beans

Does the desktop work if you log in as guest (or create another user and login as that)? This would help understand whether it is a basic graphics config problem, or just something in the session of your current user.

If it's only a problem with the current user account, then resetting unity may help :-

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/how-t...-icons-or.html

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

+1

awaiting results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12