Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guitar Pro doesn't work after upgrade to 12.10

Beans

Re: Guitar Pro doesn't work after upgrade to 12.10

It says:

Code:
    zlib1g:i386 is already the newest version.
    zlib1g:i386 set to manually installed.
    Is it possible to downgrade to whatever version Ubuntu 12.04 was using in case that is the problem?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xedi View Post
    It says:

Code:
    zlib1g:i386 is already the newest version.
    zlib1g:i386 set to manually installed.
    Is it possible to downgrade to whatever version Ubuntu 12.04 was using in case that is the problem?
    Well you can't have different versions of zlib1g so you'd need to downgrade zlib1g, zlib1g-dev also. Considering how many other packages dep on them that could prove to be problematic.
    (if you aren't too attached to your 12.10 install or confident on recovering if things go amiss then give it a go...

Edit - occasionally in such instances creating a symlink with the name of the .so your app is looking for to the .so that's installed can work
    Last edited by mc4man; October 14th, 2012 at 10:07 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    (if you aren't too attached to your 12.10 install or confident on recovering if things go amiss then give it a go...
    I rather have a working install of Ubuntu 12.10 than getting GP6 to work. I have a second computer I can mess up or where I could install 12.04 again or alternatively I heard that the windows version is supposed to work well in wine.

Edit - occasionally in such instances creating a symlink with the name of the .so your app is looking for to the .so that's installed can work
    How would I do that in detail?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xedi View Post
    I rather have a working install of Ubuntu 12.10 than getting GP6 to work. I have a second computer I can mess up or where I could install 12.04 again or alternatively I heard that the windows version is supposed to work well in wine.

How would I do that in detail?
    You'd type:

Code:
    sudo ln -s /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libz.so.1.2.7 /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libz.so.1.2.3.3
    (Ie create a soft link called libz.so.1.2.3.3, which points to libz.so.1.2.7).

But I tried that and it doesn't work for me, guitar pro still complains with the same error message. I got a hold of the actual libz.so.1.2.3.3 (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/83002646/libz.so.1.2.3.3 if you want it, extracted from http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...untu1_i386.deb, which won't install with dpkg: not co-installable yadda yadda), but putting that in /lib/i386-linux-gnu/ doesn't have the desired effect either.

I still get:
    Code:
    $ /opt/GuitarPro6/launcher.sh
    ./GuitarPro: /opt/GuitarPro6/./libz.so.1: version `ZLIB_1.2.3.3' not found (required by /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libxml2.so.2)
    Sigh.

Seriously, I'm pretty ignorant of packaging, but it can't be that hard to bundle it all in with the gp6 installer, keeping all the shared libraries in /opt/GuitarPro6 away from the rest of the system . Clearly they're doing a similar thing for Windows already, so how hard can it be?

Beans

I've made a support question in launchpad answers about the versioning of libxml2 and zlib1g:

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/211383

But I think for the time being I'll be running the Windows version of guitar pro in WINE. Seems to work fine so far.

Beans

The issue is not related to 64bit after all, since it doesn't work in Ubuntu Studio 12.10 either with the same error, but it does work in 12.04.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12