Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where's the applications menu

Hybrid View

Beans

where's the applications menu

new to ubunutu server 11.10
    where's the applications menu?

the GUI i have doesn't appear to be all there.
    i don't know what gui it is. there's a vertical bar to the left. top icon - mouse over says "dash home"

most annoying thing is the top line of the screen is hogged by something which just repeats the title of whatever app is running with input focus.

i'd really like to switch from Windows to ubuntu 'cos M$ is going out of business. 1st impressions: ubunto is no faster than windows, it's really bad at telling you what's going on. once i;ve installed an app - ubuntos hides it never to be seen again. the software center lets u see apps but not run them! ~@^@&*$!
    Last edited by sudoninja; October 13th, 2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: more detail jeez

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: where's the applications menu

Have you installed X and a desktop manager/window manager on your server installation? Even with these installed most of the server applications are command line only anyway.

If not, you will only be presented with a command line after installing a server distro.

Quickest way to find what applications you have is to browse "/usr/bin"
    Code:
     ls /usr/bin
    or to see what packages are installed
    Code:
    dpkg -l | less
    The best things in life are free, so what are we paying for?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Merrattic View Post
    Have you installed X and a desktop manager/window manager on your server installation? Even with these installed most of the server applications are command line only anyway.

If not, you will only be presented with a command line after installing a server distro.

Quickest way to find what applications you have is to browse "/usr/bin"
    Code:
     ls /usr/bin
    or to see what packages are installed
    Code:
    dpkg -l | less
    "ls /user/bin" gives me
    ls: cannot access /user/bin: No such file or directory

dpkg shows me what;s installed but not where it is or how to run it.
    Last edited by sudoninja; October 13th, 2012 at 01:06 PM.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by sudoninja View Post
    the GUI i have doesn't appear to be all there.
    i don't know what gui it is. there's a vertical bar to the left. top icon - mouse over says "dash home"
    I'm not sure that you installed the server version as you have Unity installed and it is all there.

Mouse clicking on that icon will reveal the dash and the installed GUI applications.

"ls /user/bin" gives me
    ls: cannot access /user/bin: No such file or directory
    The command given was 'ls /usr/bin'.
    Last edited by PaulW2U; October 13th, 2012 at 01:12 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    I'm not sure that you installed the server version as you have Unity installed and it is all there.

Mouse clicking on that icon will reveal the dash and the installed GUI applications.

The command given was 'ls /usr/bin'.
    Thanks PaulW2U!

That's made things a lot clearer for me. (i'm planning to run wine on a window app i have). also the clue that only gui apps are listed in dash home.

but i can't see that applications menu that i've seen in other ubunutu installs.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

but i can't see that applications menu that i've seen in other ubunutu installs.
    That's because it's not there.

The idea is that you can search either for the application by name or type. On the second lens of the dash, 'Search Applications' you can filter on application type if you're not sure what you're looking for or merely want to browse what is installed.

Alternatively you can install Gnome Classic(?), I'm not sure what it's called in your version of Ubuntu and go back to the more traditional Gnome 2 look that you've seen before. Just log out once installed and select it before logging back in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks PaulW2U!

That's made things a lot clearer for me. (i'm planning to run wine on a window app i have). also the clue that only gui apps are listed in dash home.

Possibly because you were looking at installs older than 11.10? There was a controversal change to Unity as default in 11.10. Gnome 2 is no longer supported by Gnome hence the change. There are at least a couple choices to get the 'retro' look. One which Xfce-desktop, another is MATE. I'm not sure either is really appropriate on a server though. MATE most nearly duplicates Gnome 2 and is installed via a PPA. Xfce-desktop is availiable in the repos and keeps the gnome apps vs. the 'lighter' apps in Xubuntu.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

new to ubunutu server 11.10
    where's the applications menu?
    What do you mean, it's all command line.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    What do you mean, it's all command line.
    yes i know server is installed as cli only. but somehow i was able to install a gui - which one i don't know. in windows there's only one gui that's fit for purpose. in ubuntu there seems to be many - not all fit for general purpose i guess.

let's pretend i had a cli only enviro, how would i find these apps once installed?

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

let's pretend i had a cli only enviro, how would i find these apps once installed?
    Filesystem Hierarchy Standard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast