Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OpenSUSE 64 bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: OpenSUSE 64 bit

I stopped using Microsoft Windows and Office. In fact, I stopped using Microsoft products and services altogether.

I added the GNOME 3.6 repository for OpenSUSE 12.2 64 bit andI am installing it now. I plan to install K Desktop Environment version 4.8.4.

I think that I need to reboot my System76 PC soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I have several systems, each with one or more Linux operating systems, one of which has Wheezy, another has Ubuntu, strictly testing purposes only.

The system i'm on now runs OpenSuSe 12.2, No testing going on here.

Ultimately, understanding why folks play with different Linux versions, It's all fun, never confuse one being better due to an individuals comments and suggestions and opinions.

Find what you like and use it, especially if it works the way you like it to, However if you follow opinions,
    OpenSuSE is by far one of the smartest, sophisticated distributions available, A wide range of customization features, easy settings up to expert settings located in YAST.

It really suits an export and the average novice, it's just the matter of navigating to the particular settings that are needed, and becoming familiar with them on how they work.

YAST beats editing text files, most distributions cannot compete when it comes to this.

I would stick with it, a fine polished masterpiece, Unless of course my opinion is meaningless!

Personally, I'm stuck between Wheezy & OpenSuSe

Beans
    Distro

OpenSUSE 12.2 64 bit is extremely stable and it is extremely fast and it has very high performance. I made some mistakes earlier which resulted in the fact that I had to re-install OpenSUSE 12.2 64 bit from scratch, but this second time today it took only 30 minutes to install, configure, setup, and use everything right out of the box again. I'm back to where I was earlier today except I don't have any problems. I have tried Ubuntu, Red Hat Fedora, and now OpenSUSE and I have to say that OpenSUSE is by far the most stable and the highest performer thus far. If you stick with the default software repositories, then nothing is going to break or crash.

I installed K Desktop Environment 4.8.4. It's quite nice and it's stable. I have no graphics corruption issues unlike in Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit Release Candidate with KDE 4.9.2.

I have not figured out where or how to install the device drivers for my SD card slot yet. I am going to do more research, but something tells me that I need to download the latest System76 device driver .DEB file and install it by hand. I am not exactly sure how to do that right now so I will leave this important task to another day. I also have not figured out how to add my Canon Pixma MX870 printer since it is connected on my Verizon FiOS 802.11 G Wi-Fi network at 192.168.1.7. I downloaded and I installed the proprietary Canon printer drivers, but I am having a problem adding the network printer. It's telling me that FirewallD is not started and I need to allow mdns, ipp, ipp-client, and samba-client. I am not sure how to do that. If someone can help, then I would appreciate it greatly.

Beans
    Distro

It seems that a new friend of mine on OpenSUSE forums is going to compile a Linux kernel module for my RealTek Semiconductor SD card reader and he will package it as a RPM file for me to download and install today or tomorrow. If it works, then I can test it with a SDHC 2 GB card to make sure it works. If all goes well, then I plan to purchase a SanDisk Extreme 128 GB SDXC UHS-1 card from Amazon early next week.

As for the network printer issue, I have a Canon Pixma MX870 connected to my Verizon FiOS Internet 802.11 G Wi-Fi private network and I can't get it to print documents. It keeps saying that the printer is unreachable.

I added the OpenSUSE Tumbleweed software repository. I updated and upgraded my entire OS and everything is super ultra stable and fast. It made a huge difference!

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed is much more stable, reliable, and faster than Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit LTS or 12.10 64 bit on my System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) notebook PC. It is without any reservations or doubts in my opinion and experience. It's a terrific GNU/Linux distribution and I am glad that I made the switch.

Beans
    Distro

I got my Canon Pixma MX870 printer to work. It prints documents now. I simply had to put in the IP address and click detect more in YaST after I installed the Canon printer drivers for OpenSUSE 64 bit Tumbleweed.

Now, I am hoping that my new friend will help me to make my SD card reader work. I really want that 128 GB SDXC UHS-1 card.

Beans
    Distro

I got my SD card reader to work. I tested it with a Pro Max 2 GB SDHC card and it works.

My System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) notebook PC is now fully compatible with OpenSuSE 12.2 64 bit with the Tumbleweed software repository.

I plan to get a SanDisk Extreme 128 GB SDXC UHS-1 card from Amazon early next week. I can't wait until I get it at home.

OpenSuSE 64 bit is wonderful. YaST alone makes it worth the switch from Ubuntu. It's unbelievably fast and the performance is just incredible! OpenSuSE is much much faster and much more stable and reliable than Ubuntu. It's a big difference.

I think that I will stick with OpenSuSE for a couple of months to see how I like it further. If I like it in a month from today, then I will stick with it.

Beans

Great work finding out how to get all of those bits of hardware working on a new distro. I have the same computer you do (Lemur Ultra) and I find it fantastic.

Playing with different distros is a lot of fun. I have not used SuSE in quite some time, but I do remember it being one of the better distros out there.

These days I prefer to do my distro hopping via VirtualBox. Not having to repartition and worry about losing data is just magical. It reminds me of the old days of VirtualPC on PowerPC Macs. Except that it isn't slower than frozen molasses.

Every once in a while I toy with the idea of replacing Ubuntu with something more cutting edge like Fedora or Arch, but I quickly find myself going back to Ubuntu time and again.

I have always been a big fan of traditional Unix operating systems like FreeBSD and Solaris, but the lack of support for the Intel 6235 wifi chip in the Lemur rules them out completely. I know that someone is working on it in the FreeBSD camp but it looks like he has been at it for a bit with no progress updates. If and when that changes I will look into putting one on the hard drive next to Ubuntu.

The real reason I keep going back to Ubuntu and ultimately have stayed with it is because of the Mac principle. It just works. Sure Unity was a bit of a challenge at first but I have grown to enjoy it. I also have come to know and rely on the fact that Ubuntu tends not to break itself with updates and offers a tremendous amount of peace of mind for me with the LTS offering.

I really like the fact that with UbuntuOne I can be certain that I will not lose my latest manuscript, and that I will be able to purchase whatever weird Engima album I fancy next without having ten million different places to login.

In any case, I hope you have fun with OpenSuSE and I really hope you are writing down all of the steps you are taking to get your hardware working so others can experiment along with you.

Grant

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post

OpenSuSE 64 bit is wonderful. YaST alone makes it worth the switch from Ubuntu. It's unbelievably fast and the performance is just incredible! OpenSuSE is much much faster and much more stable and reliable than Ubuntu. It's a big difference.
    Could you give some examples? Point at some Ubuntu issues which make it less reliable and stable than OpenSUSE, please.
    I've used both OpenSUSE and SLED (SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop - a commercial distribution) and I prefer Ubuntu. The latter one (SLED) is a complete crap. Neither my mic nor webcam didn't work out of the box though the proper drivers were installed, I had to remove them and compile from source. There were also some issues with LibreOffice (disappearing Base menus, some special symbols not displayed, rightclick on selected text causing Writer's crash on some old files and many others) which are not present in Ubuntu. SELinux (I prefer it to Apparmor) is not implemented so that it could be usable.
    YaST is a good application but it's rather a Windows way of doing administration tasks, for those who're used to standard Linux tools it's sometimes puzzling.

Beans
    Distro

Compiz crashes frequently in Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit LTS and 12.10 64 bit. Random software packages crash frequently as well. In OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed, nothing crashes or breaks. This is a apples to pears comparison here.

OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed is the most stable and reliable GNU/Linux distribution that I have ever tried on any PC thus far. It is also the fastest performing one that I have ever tried on any PC.

I am done with Ubuntu. I don't like the commercialized environment and I don't like the future direction that it's heading.

I plan to stick with OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed until March 2013. If everything goes according to plan, OpenSuSE 12.3 64 bit will be released at that time and I will be automatically upgraded to the latest stable release version at that time. When that day comes to pass, I will re-evaluate OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed and K Desktop Environment 4.9.x to see if it is meeting my future needs or not.

In the meantime, I have to configure SAMBA server and my SuSEfirewall2 to enable file sharing on my home network. Once that is done, I am done. There will be nothing left for me to do as I will have achieved a similar configuration with OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed compared to my previous Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit LTS installation. The key differences are stability, reliability, speed, and performance in favor of OpenSuSE.

OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed is different from SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop or Server. I can't speak to the latter as I have no experience using the commercial version. Try OpenSuSE 12.2 64 bit in a Oracle VM Virtualbox guest virtual machine. I think that you will come to respect its power and performance along with praising its stability and reliability.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    Compiz crashes frequently in Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit LTS and 12.10 64 bit. Random software packages crash frequently as well. In OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed, nothing crashes or breaks. This is a apples to pears comparison here.

OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed is the most stable and reliable GNU/Linux distribution that I have ever tried on any PC thus far. It is also the fastest performing one that I have ever tried on any PC.

I am done with Ubuntu. I don't like the commercialized environment and I don't like the future direction that it's heading.

I plan to stick with OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed until March 2013. If everything goes according to plan, OpenSuSE 12.3 64 bit will be released at that time and I will be automatically upgraded to the latest stable release version at that time. When that day comes to pass, I will re-evaluate OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed and K Desktop Environment 4.9.x to see if it is meeting my future needs or not.

In the meantime, I have to configure SAMBA server and my SuSEfirewall2 to enable file sharing on my home network. Once that is done, I am done. There will be nothing left for me to do as I will have achieved a similar configuration with OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed compared to my previous Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit LTS installation. The key differences are stability, reliability, speed, and performance in favor of OpenSuSE.

OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed is different from SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop or Server. I can't speak to the latter as I have no experience using the commercial version. Try OpenSuSE 12.2 64 bit in a Oracle VM Virtualbox guest virtual machine. I think that you will come to respect its power and performance along with praising its stability and reliability.
    Stop, stop, stop!!! You're NOT selling SUSE products, are you?
    You write about OpenSUSE performance in every post.
    If you could read and understand the text you'd never suggest me to try OpenSUSE in Virtualbox because you'd know from my previous post that I've got some experience of using both OpenSUSE and SLED and not in Virtualbox.
    The majority of bugs happen systematically and you can provide enough information how to reproduce them. But if there are frequent crashes of random applications than maybe you are doing something wrong?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast