View Poll Results: Is Linux ready for desktop??

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 90.00%
  • No

3 10.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Major Linux Problems -Why Linux is not (yet) Ready for the Desktop- 2012 edition

Beans

Re: Major Linux Problems -Why Linux is not (yet) Ready for the Desktop- 2012 edition

I voted no......not because linux isn't great, it is. I use it everywhere I can. But unfortunately, Linux has some blind spots: encrypted DVD, hardware and sound issues. All of which I have spent hours trying to solve, but to no avail.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Major Linux Problems -Why Linux is not (yet) Ready for the Desktop- 2012 edition

I'd like to know what the op considers major problems, not what someone creating blog posts to get page reads says.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Code:
    regression, regression and regression
    Sums it up.
    Amor cuerdo, no es Amor.

Beans

Home Networking

in simple terms: it isn't supported by 12.04

(1) to get 12.04 to connect to a Windows WorkGroup I have to select "connect to server" -- and supply the IP address of the Windows machine I want to acccess -- every time i want to use it

I should be able to "mount" but figuring out the mount command is like trying to decypher hyerglyphics. this is exacerbated by the various version of Ubuntu and the various version of Linux

(2) to share a directory -- among Linux/local host users -- and into a Home Network -- consisting of other Windows and Linux machines -- I should suceed by activating the "create share" option of the folder manager. This doesn't work -- at the GUEST level. they only get read access -- no matter what -- even on directories that have chmod 777

this seems to be because the FSTAB access options and the Sambda options -- are conflicting with basic chmod options.

in shoprt: home net working with 12.04 is a mess. not 1 person in 1000 will dig thru the mess of documentation i've been trying to figure out
    Last edited by mike acker; October 16th, 2012 at 03:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I really don't care whether or not someone else thinks Linux is "ready for the desktop" or "ready for prime time" or whatever. All I care about is that I can use Linux at home and that I have no need for Windows at home, and that's been the case for several years now.

Beans

If it meets 'your' needs and works on 'your' device then it is ready for the desktop, as with any OS
    This account is not active.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12