Thread: Request for Recommendation on a Small Form Factor computer

Beans

Request for Recommendation on a Small Form Factor computer

I'm thinking of getting a small form factor computer and run Ubuntu Linux and hook it up to my TV for the display and wireless keyboard and mouse.

Which one do you recommend?

Basically the box needs to have a built-in mic and option to hook up audio out to the TV speakers. HDMI or VGA out to hook up to TV for display. Wireless keyboard and mouse (ideally bluetooth else we end up using a USB port for the dongle).

WIFI for internet access.

VLC to play movies.
    Music Jukebox to play music.

I can hook up an external storage box to store music and movies.

Lastly, webcam which can used for Skype video.

How much should I budget for this toy? Which model do you recommend / suggest I should buy to meet my requirements?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Request for Recommendation on a Small Form Factor computer

You are asking for a wireless mouse & keyboard and external display, but you also want a built-in webcam and microphone? These requirements seem very contradictory.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cwsnyder View Post
    You are asking for a wireless mouse & keyboard and external display, but you also want a built-in webcam and microphone? These requirements seem very contradictory.
    I never said built-in webcam. USB Webcam is fine. The Webcam would have to sit on top of my TV. What's contradictory with a Built-in Microphone?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You included the webcam as part of the requirement for your computer, not as an accessory.

The 'built-in' microphone would have a limited usefulness beyond a range of about 3 feet. If you can use a USB webcam, you should DEFINITELY consider using an external microphone.

One part of your specifications points to a laptop or netbook, another part of your specifications points to a nettop or similar.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Here are two small ones if you drop the requirement for built-in mic.

The Fuloong should be able to run gNewSense, Debian or OpenBSD.

The Mac Mini should still be able to run Ubuntu also. But there are disadvantages to Apple's corporate behavior.