Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 nvidia

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 nvidia

Greetings,

I feel terrible turning from a generally happy Ubuntu user to a complainer...

Are you guys kidding me? This is a joke right? A DualCore with a nvidia GF9500 is hardly new or exotic hardware yet still modern. Ok Ubuntu 12.04 and X and ?? something don't get along. No problem, I still have a fall back install on another drive.

12.10 is out. And guess what, same issues !!!! Are you kidding me? Guys, you have heard of this little company Nvidia right? They have been making these things called graphics cards and GPU's for nearly 20 years. How does this happen? I could see if I just came home with a GTX 660 Ti and it needed driver help, but a GF9500?? To boot, both a GF9500 and 550Ti worked GREAT on the 11.xx version ie my fall back.

I see above that there is a possible fix ... I will try it. I will hope it works so I can get back to being a generally productive, hassle free, user. My entire point is this, I thought we were past stuff like this? When someone has to post youtube vids to show users how to get their video cards to work, there is a problem. I don't mind a little shell work. But what about the people who don't have another PC, never used a text based web browser, or think 'shell' is what you get on the beach? Or they don't know or care to know what nomodeset is or does ? How exactly are they applying the fix above? (Thank you for that BTW) Also for the record, until open drivers or packaged drivers are capable of using other avenues to the GPU like CUDA and OpenCL then I need the manufacturer's drivers. You know what scratch that, I just want the install/Live DVD to boot. Can we start there?

I know people are giving Unity a hard time. It is new and not bad at all. But one would think, 'man I have all these cool effects for the desktop and 3D in Unity, let's see how they look on 32" displays and a new Nivida 680.' NO! you won't be able to, the LIVE DVD only boots to VESA mode.

Using this nomodeset display to bitch and complain in a forum is nice.

I am sure there is a perfectly sound technical excuse why 12.xx doesn't work and 11.xx does, but I don't care. I am still bitching and complaining in nomodeset from the LIVE DVD.

No coffee for you, just take a hand full of coffee beans in your mouth, chew them up, then take a big slug of hot water, and swallow. That's the user experience we are going for now.

Man I feel better. Please feel free to delete this post. It is not constructive in any way.

Sincerely.

EDIT:
    After I cooled my jets. I went in again... all for 64 bit.

If users are having trouble getting the 12.10 LIVE to boot with the intention of installing to hard drive and your hardware is nvidia, you may want to make sure you do a cold boot. Power your computer down completely ( not just a restart ). Try to boot the 12.10 DVD now and see what you get. I am at an installed to hard drive, full screen mode of some type now, my Details indicate Graphics Driver unknown Experience standard. We are getting somewhere.

Now to try above and below posts with kernel headers. ( Thanks BTW )
    Last edited by oizukitom; October 20th, 2012 at 05:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The bug is caused by the drivers NOT pulling in the kernel headers
    Code:
    Package: nvidia-current
    Priority: optional
    Section: restricted/misc
    Installed-Size: 198960
    Maintainer: Ubuntu Core Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
    Architecture: amd64
    Source: nvidia-graphics-drivers
    Version: 304.51.really.304.43-0ubuntu1
    Replaces: fglrx, fglrx-updates, nvidia-173, nvidia-173-updates, nvidia-180-modaliases, nvidia-185-modaliases, nvidia-96, nvidia-96-updates, nvidia-current-modaliases, nvidia-current-updates, nvidia-experimental-304
    Provides: fglrx, fglrx-updates, nvidia-173, nvidia-173-updates, nvidia-96, nvidia-96-updates, nvidia-current-updates, nvidia-experimental-304, xorg-driver-video
    Depends: x11-common (>= 1:7.0.0), make, sed (>> 3.0), dkms, linux-libc-dev, libc6-dev, linux-headers-generic | linux-headers, patch, acpid, libc6 (>= 2.2.5), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libx11-6, libxext6, libxv1, libxvmc1, zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4), xorg-video-abi-11 | xorg-video-abi-12 | xorg-video-abi-13, xserver-xorg-core (>= 2:1.10.99.901)
    Recommends: nvidia-settings
    Conflicts: fglrx, fglrx-updates, nvidia-173, nvidia-173-updates, nvidia-180-modaliases, nvidia-185-modaliases, nvidia-96, nvidia-96-updates, nvidia-current-modaliases, nvidia-current-updates, nvidia-experimental-304
    Filename: pool/restricted/n/nvidia-graphics-drivers/nvidia-current_304.51.really.304.43-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    But as you can see, highlighted are the kernel headers. Because they are missing, the driver can't compile and therefore, can't be loaded. Just install the headers manually and the system will happily compile the driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sakirasci View Post
    You saved me from a big trouble, thanks dude I'll add some extra information to what you've explained: there is an easy way to remove AMD (fglrx) drivers, just open a terminal and apply these commands:

Code:
    sudo sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh
    sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev* xorg-driver-fglrx
    I applied these, and just like you said I saved my Ubuntu 12.10! Hope it helps to other people who got stuck with their 12.10 upgrades.
    My "additional drivers" box was empty but his worked for me with my ATI drivers, thanks for the help!

Beans

It's odd the driver issue is still a problem. Installing the kernel headers seems to be the key to get this going again.

Beans

Worked perfectly, thanks KAding.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by KAding View Post
    In my case installing the nvidia-current driver in the end failed because it couldn´t compile the module.

So the problem was solved by installing the kernel headers and then reinstalling the driver:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-3.5.0-17-generic
    sudo apt-get remove nvidia-current
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
    This eventually worked, thanks! However, I noticed that when doing the last line of the commands, it asked for linux-headers-3.5.0-18, so I repeated the process replacing 17 by 18. There should be a command/script which checks which version you need to avoid future confusion.

In any case, it now works!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Do you have to install the specific headers to make this work? Can't you use linux-headers-generic? Just curious as I'm concerned with what would happen when a new image comes out, would that just break again and require you to install the new headers and then reinstall the current driver?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Benchamoneh View Post
    Do you have to install the specific headers to make this work? Can't you use linux-headers-generic? Just curious as I'm concerned with what would happen when a new image comes out, would that just break again and require you to install the new headers and then reinstall the current driver?
    Just for the benefit of all interested, I've just tried the above and it works fine. It's easier for people to just install the generic headers rather than look up their current linux image and install the headers for that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Benchamoneh View Post
    Turns out the answer to that question is a big fat YES (it does break it).

To solve, Ctrl+Alt+T
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-3.5.0-18-generic
    sudo apt-get remove nvidia-current
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
    I didn't try with the generic so can't tell you if that works.
    ~DrDanielFC

Beans

Excellent - headers, uninstall, reinstall works.

Assuming you get a clean boot then you can do this if you want latest:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current-updates

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast