Thread: Just Lost !!

Beans

Exclamation Just Lost !!

Hi all ...

I am facing a strange thing with my ubuntu system ..
    my system : Dell Inspiron 1564 Laptop , Dual boot .. Win7 + ubuntu
    at first i installed ubuntu 10.04 and that was my first ubuntu try .. it was very stable the best operating system ... and everything was ok !!!!!
    after that i ran the update manager as usual .. and it did an upgrade ,, and now when i choose System >>>>> About Ubuntu .. it results : You are using Ubuntu 10.10
    - the Maverick Meerkat - released in October 2010 and supported until April 2012.

---------------------

I dont care abiut versions or releases .. but the thing that i care about is i am facing many problems now in my system ... like drivers , programs updates and installations .. freezing .. .... etc ..

I DO NOT KNOW what to do ... . or what is the procedure!!! i rely on ubuntu on my laptop , i mean all my files .. plugins, customizations .. data movies ... etc... are on ubuntu ..
    I am not professional in ubuntu .. but i want to change this release without losing anything ...
    nothing can be installed ... using synaptic or terminal always it tells : FAILED TO FETCH thing .. I want the simpliest way with the lowest loss level

Please help me

I will be thankful guys

Thank you in advance

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Just Lost !!

I dont care abiut versions or releases
    You should, you did a version upgrade to a release that reached end of life a year ago.

You should of did a version upgrade to 12.04 and skipped the others.
    Click on NewDocs PopularPages -- Ubuntu Documentation Search Tool
    Earn extra beans, report SPAM. Use the "Report Post" button.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes, Ubuntu 10.04 is a Long-Term Suport release. It is supported for 2 years, rather than 18 months for regular releases (The suport is going to end next month, for the Desktop version).

Ubuntu 10.10 is more recent than 10.04, but is not LTS, so it already reached End-Of-Life.
    Like ibjsb4 said, I recommend upgrading/clean installing Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Now, the LTS lifespan is longer - Ubuntu 12.04 is supported until 2017.

Beans

thank you guys .. your replies are very appreciated

Isn't there any better way than clean installation ??? I don't have time to repeat all customizations and plugins ! because of my job ...

Plss if anyone have any solution

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In principle you could make your software sources point to old releases (search the fora – it has been mentioned on several occasions) and upgrade three times to get to 12.04. This will take quite a while (I don't know how fast internet is in Nablus, but probably not as fast as where I am). But even then, many of your customisations will be lost as many programs, including the desktop environment, have been replaced with other versions that no longer recognise the old configuration files.

To get all your programs back quickly after a clean install, read this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2023028
    It instructs you how to make a list of all installed packages in the old version and then use that list to reinstall them all in the new version. Keep in mind that some packages will no longer be available.

Of course, when reinstalling it's savest to store your files on some external drive. It is however possible to reinstall without wiping the disk.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    In principle you could make your software sources point to old releases (search the fora – it has been mentioned on several occasions) and upgrade three times to get to 12.04. This will take quite a while (I don't know how fast internet is in Nablus, but probably not as fast as where I am). But even then, many of your customisations will be lost as many programs, including the desktop environment, have been replaced with other versions that no longer recognise the old configuration files.

To get all your programs back quickly after a clean install, read this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2023028
    It instructs you how to make a list of all installed packages in the old version and then use that list to reinstall them all in the new version. Keep in mind that some packages will no longer be available.

Of course, when reinstalling it's savest to store your files on some external drive. It is however possible to reinstall without wiping the disk.
    Thank you very much i will try this